Finally got out today

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
Finally got out today to do a little fishing.

went to lake konawa. Its similar to anna i guess. Its a power plant lake where they pump warm water out of the plant into the lake. The temp ranged from 50 to 60 depending where on the lake you were at. I caught my fish on the 'cold side' where it was about 52 degrees. That area never really gets below 45 in the winter and everyone and their dog fishes the warm side around the outlet so the area i fished gets a lot less presure.

I didnt catch any huge fish. Biggest was about a pound and a half..but it was at least nice to see one a fish and feel that little tug.

All came on rattle traps over grass beds. This lake you can fish a rattle trap year round over grass as long as the water temp doesnt go below 45

BJ

BJ, sounds like a good day out. Since I never fish water that cold I'm curious about the speed of the presentation. How much slower than summer retrieve speed do you use in the cold water?

the fish in this lake are WIERD!!!!!!

water will in the 90s on the outlet side of this lake in summer...uppers 80s for the rest of the lake in summmer. In the summer they school up so you can chase schools on this lake or get over grass beds with FAST (as fast as you can) baits like rattle traps or burning a spinnerbait.

In the winter..same thing...rattle traps as long as the water isn't below 45. I was fishing fairly fast for this time of year..i just covered water all day. about a medium retrieve i guess..compared to fishing in the summer.

BJ

Aw c'mon BJ, I would have taken my Senkos and went over to the outlet and embarassed a few fishermen!! KB and I did that on the Potomac, there was a big tourney and a couple of the tourney fishermen (and a lot of other boats) were fishing a well known Milfoil bed. We pulled up and pulled keeper after keeper outta the bed and finally the TX guys got po'd and left.

TOXIC

Toxic...i have a friend who only uses senkos at this lake..but he has to twitch them like a fluke FAST!.

these fish are WIERD.....they like never quit being active..you have use moving baits to get them to bite..anytime of the year..like i said..its odd

Back