Federation Fall Classic on Kerr Lake

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Long

Reaction score
Hey all,

I spent yesterday recovering from 5 days of straight fishing at Kerr Lake, VA/NC. Saturday and Sunday was the Virginia BASS Federation Fall Classic. I went up Wednesday for a couple of days of pre-fishing. Here's a rundown of the week in a nutshell:

Wednesday - fished way back in a creek near Clarksville, mostly texas rigged worms. Caught several small fish but no keepers (14 in limit). Had great fun catching a 10+ striper on one of the new Rapala jerkbaits.

Thursday - fished Grassy Creek. Got on a solid spinnerbait bite (blue shad 4 blade Terminator) around 10:15. Had a limit of 14 inch fish in less than an hour and I was moving around to keep from fishing out any spots - if I caught 2 bass in an area, I moved. Also caught a couple of fish on DT10 crankbait. Lots of pickerel mixed in with the bass.

Friday - started out in Eastland Creek. Caught 3 lb bass on DT10 on third cast and 5 lb pickerel on next cast. Caught another DT10 bass and left area. Ran to Grassy to check previous day fish. (Almost ran up on a flat getting there, very lucky not to have torn something up.) Bite there was gone. Not a single bass. Took out early to get to pairings meeting.

Saturday - partner had fished Eastland Creek in practice so we concentrated there. Could only manage two fish a piece. Me - 1 spinnerbait fish, 1 carolina rig lizard fish = 7.12 lbs (missed one carolina rig fish); Partner - 1 jig fish, 1 carolina rig finesse worm fish = 5.26 lbs. Bite was tough for everyone. My 7.12 lbs was 9th place.

Sunday - fished around North Bend, Eastland, Rudds, and Grassy. Managed 3 fish. Me - 1 spinnerbait fish, 1 DT10 fish = 4.20 lbs. Partner - 1 carolina rig finesse worm fish = 1.28 lbs (missed several jig and carolina rig fish, not sure if they were small or what but never really had the bait). Partner and I went to same place I caught the DT10 bass and pickerel in practice on Friday. I told him about catching those two fish in practice and then proceeded to repeat the feat on the very next two casts - talk about deja vu :)

My 11.32 lbs held for 9th place overall. First place was 22 lbs on a jig and second place was 16 lbs on small crankbaits; both fisherman said they didn't pass Eastland Creek from the dam where they caught their fish.

The fishing was kind of slow but the weather was great. I really can't complain because it was a ton of fun.

Steve

That's in KB's backyard.....You takin notes for when I come down KB?

Good job on the TX. Kerr is always tough.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back