Fatrap, Superduty - Shed Floor Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul P

Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm back to building my shed. I removed the floor that buckled over the weekend so my next step is to put the new plywood down. I have a choice of 3/4 ACX fir, 3/4 CDX fir, or 3/4 pressure treated CDX pine. If I dont go with the Pressure Treated I will be giving the wood couple coats of oil based deck paint. What do you recommend? I'm inclined to go with the Pressure Treated. I'm not sure if there is a big trade off between firand pine. The cost of the paint would equal the difference in price for pressure treated.

Thanks

Paul

pressure treated and then paint it. the CCA pressure treatment is only to keep bugs from eating it...doesn't waterproof it, in fact CCA is carried into the wood by water. (used to work @ wood treating plant) If u paint CCA (green color) treated wood it will last 5 times longer..just my .02 worth

RW

Pressure treated. If your gonna a put deck paint or oil based paint make sure the surface is very clean.

fatrap

Hi Fatrap,

Is it really necessary to paint the pressure treated (PT)? I was hoping that if PT was a decent way to go then it would eliminate the painting step. If not PT then I understand it would be necessary to paint.

Thanks

Paul

Paul, I am a contractor by trade. We use pressure treated lumber on everything, decks, shed floors, etc. The decks last 15 or so years, and they are in direct sunlight, which destroys more than water. Your shed floor, will be protected from sunlight. No you DO NOT have to paint pressure treated lumber, the chemicals, mostly copper protect against rot, termites, and wood beetles. If you still are concerned do a google search on treated lumber. Folks who use gourds (mellon type vegtable) for bird houses, dip these gourds with copper sulfate, and get them to last for years. As for treated lumber being water proof, no it is not. But, is surely protected from roting, with the copper.

Soon you will no longer be able to purchase the green pressure treated lumber, EPA is making them change the process, No it will not harm you. You know, everything we touch today has some warnings. I purchased 3 Shimano Curados, and the first thing I noticed on the warnings on the side of the box is: Warning this product contains material know to cause cancer. Build your shed, use the treated material, and enjoy. I am 51 years old, have been in my home for 31 years, and have a shed 20 years old with 3/4 pressure treated plywood, looks like new. I can e-mail pics, if you like.

Bubby

Thanks Bubby, RW, and Fatrap! I'm sure I wil have more questions as I progress.

Paul

Latest posts

Back