Fast Idle Lever - Stuck

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donald Fruge

Reaction score
The button to engage the fast idle is jammed again. The first time this happened it kinda fixed itself. I have a 94 18 foot tracker with a 90 Merc. I know there have been some discussions on this board about a recall but my question is, for those who are experienceing this problem what are you doing to fix it. I know there are others who are having this same problem and there must be some input as to how you are handleing it.

I am going to fork in a couple of weeks and don't wont this to affect my trip. I am considering bringing it to a local marine to have them trouble shoot it but would like to take a stab at it first.

Wolf

Are you talking about not being able to get the engine out of neutral after you've used fast idle to start?

If you're having trouble getting it into gear, I had the same issue with an earlier PC175. I remember it was like the throttle linkage was too short or too long, just enough that it the button wouldn't pop out when placed in neutral. I could get it to pop out by turning the motor all the way to one side, seemingly extending the cables as far as they could go...don't know if that's what actually fixed it, but it would happen on occasion.

Thad

Wolf-

My TV-18 is at the dealer as we speak getting this same issue resolved...

I called this morning to check on it...they said they replaced the whole throttle/control 'box'. The 'call' is in to see if it will be covered under warranty...Even though the boat was purchased in 2001, the SAME repair was done when it was new, and obviously, the SAME problem still exists...

We'll see...

az

The button is frozen in place...its current position is out but kinda cocked a little to the side. It is in neurtral, and it can be shifted into gear or into reverse. Just can't push the button in order to push the handle forward to acheive a fast idle. It is a problem because, although I can get the merc to crank without the idle up high, I cannot put it into gear until the motor warms up. It takes forever to warm up a cold merc at the low end of the idle range. I start it and keep it idleing with the choke key but that is aggravating.

I will try turning the motor all the way to the sides and see if this will pop it loose. I have been told that the parts inside the control box are interchangable but that remains to be seen.

Was hoping to not have to pay for a whole new control box.

Wolf

Hey Thad

Your remedy worked. I uncovered the boat last night to get a few things ready for a trip to Lake Fork. While cleaning up and stocking the boat I thought about what you said and gave it a try. I turned the wheel all the way to left and it did not help but when I turned the wheel all the way to the right (pulling the motor away from the cables) it fixed the problem.

I am tickled to death, as this has been in the back of my mind for a couple of weeks, nagging me to death.

Thanks for the tip!

Have a good one,

Wolf

Sooner,

Leaving in the morning, plan to fish tomorrow afternoon if time allows. Will be fishing with guide Jeff Kirkwood Thusday. Weather looks nasty for friday/sat but I would much rather be there in the rain than at work.

Do you think you can make it down this weekend?

If you do, the scenic 515 cabins had some vacancies as of a couple of days ago. We had to put a couple of guys from our group in a cabin because we are full at the house.

Wolf

Back