Extended Warranties...What Do You Think?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
Thinking about adding the "Premier Protection Plan" (extended warranty) to the new 591. It costs $665 for an additional 5 years with $50 deductible. It covers big stuff like trolling motor, fish finder/GPS, steering cables, trailer hubs, trailer brake components, pumps, gauges...stuff that can cost a bundle...IF you have to replace them. The motor is covered under a different warranty for 5 years.

What do you all think about adding the extended warranty? Do you feel like I'll at least break even on it? One TM or finder with do that.

Harpo

best money you can spend one repair can eat that much just got my 482 2months ago i think thats good insurance at that price.:

It sounds like good warranty protection but just make you sure read every darn word, in context, in the contract.

If you don't get the extended warranty, everything on your boat is going to break..

If you do get the extended warranty, nothing is going to break.

In my mind, it's worth getting for either reason especially when you can just roll it into your payment. Go for it..

Uncle Billy

Sooner...

If nothing else, it may help to ensure peace of mind. There are always enough things to worry about when traveling and fishing, and knowing you have good coverage may take some of those worries away. You never know, if you have to make 1 claim during the coverage period you may just come out ahead.

just my $.02

Mike

My only tip. Look at whats not covered? I still think it's a good deal. But just so you know where you stand look at that part also.

BF

My 2 cents, I bought my 2000 Tracker PC 175 w/40 Merc in 2000 brand new at the boat show, my first ever "real" boat with a steeringwheel. I paid the extra $$ for the same premier protection policy as I had read/heard about motors "blowing".

First - The price is 100% NEGOTIABLE!! I got close to 30% off the Asking price through negotiations, it is NOT Set by Tracker/Corporate.

Second - I never used it in 5 years, as nothing went wrong with my boat that needed warranty. The dealer was amazing and even fixed things that were NOT covered under warranty. It was a good piece of mind for the 5 years as a new boat owner.

Third - Remember these are sold as serious PROFIT and commision device for the dealer and underwriter. They do NOT sell extended warranties for the benefit of the consumer.

Forth - On things like Tmotors and Fishfinders, i've never had either break in 9 years of owing 2 tracker products (realizing neither a Tmotor or fishfinder is a tracker product).

Fifth - Whats the warranty on the 150 Opti? its it 3,5 years now? THat is most likely your largest 'cost' issue on repair from manufacturers defects.

All that said, if I was shelling out $25k+ (when you add tax, freight, rigging, extras...) I would negotiate him down to around $500 bucks and get it for peice of mind.

Oh and either way, I will HAVE to find a way to your place and fish out of that sparkly rig!!

Trep

Back