Electronics

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
What is the best way to learn how to use your electronics effectively?

How do you know if a fish is actice or inactive by looking at ur depth finder, how do you know if its a bass, catfish, etc. I've heard that with a little practice you can tell how active a fish is, what kind it is, etc.

Whats teh best way to learn?

I'm trying to become the best fisherman I can possibly be. As I said in my other post I've been practicing a lot with presentations that a year ago I wouldnt touch....i'm now becoming very versatile.

I'm now wanting to learn to use my electronics effectively.

Thanks!

BJ

If you catch the fish, you'll know what kind it is. If you don't, it's a gar or carp :).

I ain't buying into knowing what kind of fish is down there and active or not. Let's assume you have a 20' diameter cone. If the fish moves inside that 20', it can be active but still show as a flat line. It could move out of the cone and back in and back out, or it could be different fish. Unless you can differentiate what you're seeing and where, I don't trust that whole active/inactive thing. On my Matrix 47-3d, I can see 6 seperate transducer slices, with the boat being between 3 and 4. So, if I see the activity in #1, I know to cast left. That's about it though. I figure you're bass fishing and probably pretty shallow anyway, so the cone gets smaller and you're not fishing below your boat anyway.

I agree with Mike, you can make an educated guess on the species, but that is it. For the other features, get yourself an underwater camera, look at your depth finder, then lower the camera and take a look.

Rich D

One piece of advice that I found to produce exceptional results was suggested by one of the pros during Bassmaster University. He suggested that the best way to improve your picture detail on the display was to turn off the overlay data on depth reading (if you have a lowrance, this is the digital readout in top left of your depth). Being an IT geek myself, I was fairly skeptical, but I tried it -- the results were outstanding --- fish arcs are much cleaner and clearer, less surface distortion, better bottom readout -- made the $100 bucks for BMU worth every penny!

David

I've been trying to remember the name of the pro who taught electonics at the Bassmaster U. and he also works for Lowrance. He has a pretty good book and vidieo on the subject. His name is right on the tip of my tongue.

Harpo

It came to me....Don Iovino. Here is a link to his book on how to use sonar for deep finese fishing. Look around in his catalog for the vidieo. It's more directed at how to set the sonar and to iinterpret the readings.

Harpo
http://www.iovino.com/donbook.htm

Back