elbow pain

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark spencer

Reaction score
been doing a lot of pitching and flipping lately with a 1/2oz jig, 7' med/hev rod, this has produced a lot nice fish for me but I developed a bad case of tennis elbow, is there a better set up that would help? thanks mark

Look into a lighter model rod. Many premium mfrs make them.

Most "overuse" injuries involve microtears in the connective tissue of the joint. The resulting inflamation causes the discomfort. Motrin or other such medications and possibly prescription anti inflams will relieve much of the discomfort. Unfortunately the only cure in most cases in not to preform the action that is causing the injury thereby giving the joint time to recover. Another down side is because the connective tisses don't enjoy the same blood supplies(lower vascular tissue) that muscles and internal organs have the healing is much slower. In older adults and some children artheritis sets into these joints limiting range of motion and producing a painful disfigured joint. Sometimes an injection of cortisone works wonders but is a short lived solution.

I've heard this from more doctors than you will believe(enough to quote chapter and verse)I have a cronic left elbow and a soon to be replaced right knee(if'n I can make it through bird season) So I feel your pain brother.

fatrap

Your gonna think i'm crazy, but go throw a softball with the bad arm! It worked for me! KB

Or a football....

I hear you on the injuries....after 20plus years behind the plate with the tools of ignorance I have aquired arthritis in my wrists, knees and a hip.

Now after 20 years of smallie fishing I know my wrists and elbows are gonna be as bad....thank God for ibuprofin.

Mini

time to buy a st. croix... also are you using a low profile real? Might be as much the size or the way you hold your reel that is causing cramping /stress...

david

One year my shoulder got bad from casting too hard too often. Got a hydro shot in the ball socket twice and was fine. Don't know if they can do that for the elbow but try it, and still get the lighter rod.

First off, do you use the computer a lot? If so, the pain/inflamation may have been heightened by fishing.

Recently, I had terrible elbow pain in my left elbow. Bottom line was that it was the way I was sitting/typing on my computer. I changed that, along with medication and treatment, and am back in the saddle.

Try a 'medical' dose of Ibuprofen (advil) - three tables (600mg total). That's exactly what they gave me when I had some dental work done, to relieve inflamation. Also, try soaking your elbow in ice-water for 15 minutes, twice a day. I did both things, and in a 2-3 weeks, pretty much was back on track.

I also wore one of the tennis elbow braces on my forearm, which helped me not to irritate it any more.

Tex

Don't know if this will help,but I switched to a left handed reel this year on my flipping stick and absolutly love it.Don't know why I didn't do it sooner.At least now I am switching between holding the rod in my right and left hands throughout the day.

Steve

Mark...I haven't used a baitcaster in almost 10 years now. For some reason using one would also give

me tennis elbow. I over extended my elbow jonts whenever I casted with it. I wound up with lots of cortisone shots and pain for a long time.

I now use spinning rods only and can fish all day no problem. Miss the ole baitcaster though! Good luck!

Back