Eagle Fishfinder Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
I installed a new Eagle Fishmark 320 last fall to replace a Garmin 160 on the bow. Since I only got to use it once before today I hadn't noticed one very annoying trait that this finder has. I'm wondering if anybody else has this same problem. Whenever I get into very shallow water or raise the trolling motor and the fishfinder loses the bottom and starts flashing. That's OK all of them do that but the problem I'm having is the thing won't reset itself. It will start tell me the water depth is something like 754' or 1027' or something like that. No matter how long I give it, it will not reset like the Garmin did and my little cheapie H-bird does. I have to power it off and back on every time.

What do you all think? Is there something wrong or is this just the nature of this brand? I hope not because I just ordered another Eagle 480 for the console.

Harpo

mine does that. I have a 320 at the bow of my nitro. If i get into shallow water it reads wrong. I just turn mine off and then back on.

you could just start fishign drop shots in 30 foot of water (if you can find 30 foot of water in oklahoma..lol) and you wont have that prob! LOL!

I had 30 feet of water in my house one time when the pipe in the attic broke.

Harpo

Ok, my Grandfather was VERY good at fixing things. In his later years it was a little tougher for him and some new things were too complicated. I'm not sure what happened but when he was living with us the sink in the kitchen was clogged. He tried to fix it. I came home and stepped into the kitchen at the same time i put my backpack down, my feet and the bag went splash! i thought wat in the world...I looked over and my grandfather had flooded our kitchen!!! Its funny to think back on that now. I wish he was still here. He could fix anything (except a kitchen sink!!LOL), just in his older years he couldnt do as much

I've got an Eagle Fisheasy 2T that does the same thing. Has done it since new. Very aggravating.

Mine was the same way.And it wouldn't save my settings when I would shut it off.

Very annoying having to set it all back up again anytime I would move to a different spot.

My Lowrance 47X on the bow does the same thing occasionally (in shallow water), giving me readings of 600' sometimes. I turn it off and back on, but have to reset the parameters I want.

Harpo

My garmin 240 that i have on the front dies the same thing. Always has, its worse in weedy water but it somtimes dies it in clear too.

My x47 will give me negative readings sometimes, especially on temp readings,just shut it off and restart it and it's ok.

AAARGGGH! I was hoping for better news such as, something is wrong with it (it's still under warranty) or I didn't have it setup correctly. I think I'm going to e Lowrance to see if they have any ideas. It's a real PIA to have to off/on it every time I go in to retrive a hung up bait or every time I get in a little too shallow.

Harpo

It seems to me that one of the guys at Bassmaster U. said to turn off the depth display in the corner of the f.f. and it will help.

Gene

I'm sure that Greg Walters can give a better account (technically), but here's what I understand.

The 'sonar return' from shallow water is far too fast and powerful to get good results. In short, the unit get's lost because it's getting bombarded with returns that are virtually immediate in nature.

The unit I have on my bow (color unit), get's completely covered in undecipherable reds, blues and black in anything shallower than about 5 feet. Somewhere in the 5-6 foot range, is where mine starts clearing up.

Also, you will find that some units will get 'lost' when the trolling motor is up during a run, and have to be reset once back in the water.

Tex

Tex, I understand that it will get goofed up in very shallow water or when the TM is stowed. My complaint is that it won't reset itself once it's in good water. My old Garmin 160 would reset about 99% of the time and the $10 Hummingbird that came on the boat does everytime. It seems like a simple thing to design in.

Harpo

Back