Eagle electronics dissappointment

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
With everyone's advise, I changed electronics this winter and put an Eagle Ultra Classic on the bow and a Fish Easy ST at the console. Now let me say this, resolution on the Classic is incredible and once I figured it out, the data returns are great. The Fish easy, is also great. Gives up some resolutions, but is surprisingly accurate, easy to read, and never loses the signal at high speeds or in turns. Now the bad news. On the first day, the Fish easy fogged up, and the speed sensor is off, a LOT. At low speeds, it appears to read accurately which is good as my speedo doesn't even register until 20 mph, but at WOT it reads 80+ mph. My boat only does 56-57 WOT. I figured, I would send it in and use my flasher until it's return. Then after my first bumpy day on the water, the Classic began to shut itself off. Then it wouldn't come back on. I would hit the power buttom repeatedly and the screen would flicker so I know it had power, but would not come on. After another bumpy ride, it would work but intermitently! I just talked to Eagle and they will rush my warranty to try to meet the date of the rally, but my gosh, 2 brand new units, and both with problems. Hope it's just a fluke. If not, I'm blaming all of YOU! LOL Mini and Mac sold me on these things and now look! Kidding. Anyone ever have that problem with the classic? The fogging on the ST I know is a bad seal. But what's up with the classic? An internal short maybe? Bad wire? It does have power.

i'm betting on flukes. hope they back you in time for the rally. stan

eagle and lowrance is the same company,but the eagle is a dissapointment to a few.neighbor bought the eagle accunav,the equivelent to the lowrance globalnav 310.he had a problem with his,sent it back to eagle/lowrance,they sent him the same unit i got.so he got a good deal there.

send it back next day air,with an explination on the problem,and maybe they will send it back the same?

Hey,....don't blame Mini and Mac,...we use Lowrance units.....not Eagles. And don't say they're "the same"...if they were,..then yours would say "Lowrance" on them!! LOL!!

BTW,..sounds like you have a short in the unit or the wiring somewhere!!!

Mac

There definately is a short in the power wire....when it works, wiggle the wire (the connection to the power leads, positive and negative) and see if it the connection is bad. Next, remove the fuse and stretch the little spring in the holder, scrape or sand the contacts and the ends of the fuse, and replace. I would recommend soldering the connection at the power cable (both poitive and negative).

If the screen flickers, it DOES NOT mean the unit has power. I have pressed the on button with the unit disconnected and seen the flicker....

Mini

No kidding. Thanks Mini. I will try that tonight. Hopefully I can get the bugs worked out quick. If not, maybe you guys can help on the 7th. Hope it's not the wire. That's a nightmare to run. Took me 20 minutes and some gymnastic gyrations of the spine to do it! So the flicker is just residual current left in the circuit huh? Like I said, other than that, I love them. The detail on the classic is awesome and the ST NEVER loses the signal even in high speed turns.

Back