Dry Storage Box

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Platt

Reaction score
I have a 2004 NX882 and one of the dry storage boxes in the rear has split. Any ideas where to purchase a replacement?

Went to Bass Pro. They checked with Nitro and was told not available. Any help would be appreciated.

I was thinking about epoxy and or alum strip with rivets. It is split over half way around the lip. I would like to have new, but that may not be an option. Thanks for your reply....quack, quack.

I would try a different dealer other then bass pro. They used the same tubs in the 9 series boats as well i would think they would have to still have them available.

I agree with Toxic.....if duct tape will work, use it. That's what I used on mine. I went out to Bass Pro and they wanted almost $60 for a new one. Forget that! It will have to fall apart before I spend that much money on one!

My previous Cajun bass boat did not come with any dry storage boxes. I made my own out of plywood, coated them with a thin layer of fiberglass matting on the outside, and the whole thing (inside and out) covered with grey colored fiberglass epoxy resin. I used aluminum L bracket on the top edge to make a lip for them that would sit inside the compartment with the flat part of the L resting on the compartment lip.

I built those the first week I owned that boat in 1997. When I sold the boat in 2005, they were still completely intact - strong, solid, no cracks, etc... The new owner really liked them too.

My Triton came with the black plastic ones. I've broke 3 of them already. I'm not buying any more. The next ones that enter those compartments will be manufactured per the above method.

Yes - it's time consuming to do. But the cost of making boxes for every one of the compartments can be less than the cost of just one of the cheap plastic ones manufacturers put in boats.

And no... they didn't weigh that much. :) They were heavier... but I did not notice any performance difference.

All the best,

Glenn

I had one of mine out on the floor doing some cleaning. I was climbing back into the boat and slipped. I fell on it an crushed it. I used a bunch of HIGH QUALITY black duct tape on it and it is fine. I taped the inside and outside of all the cracks. It has been at least 3 years since I did it. The cheap stuff won't last as long.

Gene

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Much appreciated. I will probably do the rivets and duct tape and leave it alone. Gary

I'd just get some fiberglass cloth and resin mix. Lightly sand the area and apply and squeeze out the bubbles and let cure.

fatrap

Back