Drop Shotting in wind

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Welc

Reaction score
I have a drop shotting question. I want to try more drop shotting this year but the strip mines I fish the wind can push the boat along at a fair clip. So do I go against the wind and keep the trolling motor going to try to keep the drop shot in one place? I take it, if I let the wind push me, the drop shot is going to move at a fair pace. Any suggestions? Thanks

Couple of things,

1. It is easier to reel up line as you move so throw in the direction that the wind is going to push you.

2. Use the TM to "slow" your movement as you work the rig back to you.

If you are doing a pure verticle presentation then you are going to have to stay relatively still, no way around it unless you slowly let out line as you mve and work the bait. Lake Anna is windy about 75% of the time. In my last tournament we had to throw even with the bank and led the wind pull the senko and/or dropshot along the bank.

TOXIC

Thanks everyone.

TOXIC the way I usually fish is with a senko towards the bank and drag it behind as the wind pushes me (works great). I have noticed many fish deep (20 - 25 Ft) on bottom structure and wondered how to get those deep bass. The strip mine is up to 60 feet deep and most of the structure is under water.

Harpo if I drop the anchor will it scare the bass? The strip mine is ultra clear, can see down 30'.

Marty I have thought of purchasing a wind sock, just wondered how many times my fishing buddy at the back of the boat is going to have his crank bait caught up.

Back