Dog

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
I have a dilemma with Cobey, my Blue Weimeraner pup. He is now going on 7 months old. Big male, he is 90lbs and growing. We have had our puppy problems but nothing too severe. He is a big boy, hard headed and strong as a mule. Now is the time we would normally get him "fixed". Time to separate the twig from the berries!! :lol:For the first time, my wife has been thinking that we may want to leave him "intact". Her thinking is that he is a fine specimen and may want a pup sired by him in the future. I have always gotten our male dogs snipped. I am looking for the pro's and con's of leaving him unaltered. He is not overly agressive (only to strangers)....doesn't run off when off leash, overall very obedient. What are my potential problems? I am not a novice trainer but I just realized all of my males have been fixed. Uncle Billy? Others with male dogs?

TOXIC

Tox,

I had my goldens berries removed only becuase it takes alittle of the hyperness away. I was told by the breeder if we didn't get him clipped, he could become agressive down the road, and also will be very hyper, that what we were told, so we got em clipped, not sure on your type of dog. My buddy has a female Weimy, and it is very agressive to everyone but them

You thought about most everything ... testicular cancer risk eliminated? Will clear barbed wire and other fences with reduced risk?

Another aspect is he most likely will start marking a place in the house. Mine Vizsla started right after a year or so. We caught him in the act a couple times so we knew it was him not one of my daughter's dogs. He sired one more litter then snip snip. No more peeing on the corner of the couch.

fatrap

Cons - the general public has to look at those things bouncing around all the time.:p Not to mention he make you severely jealous by humping your wife all the time.:p

Mine still has his and is over eight years old, he is a lab though. I've never had any aggression issues, even toward other males. The only problem is when a female in the neighborhood goes in heat there will be 3 or 4 nights he wants to go out a couple times to mark the backyard. I've left him intact on the chance I find a qualified, willing female so I can get one of his pups.

You could always have some of his "stuff" frozen, I'll leave the collection part to you. :blink::D

Gene

Since a blue coat is a disqualification of the AKC breed standard, are you even going to be able to find an owner of a ***** who would be willing accept him as a sire?

Well, the Blue only, at this point in time, disqualifies him from showing. There is no disqualification for any of the other disciplines. He can qual in any other area, obedience, hunt, field, agility, companion, etc. It's the show snobs that dis-Q for the blue coat and actually per the breeder, the general public like the blue a lot more than the Silver in her experience. It was actually a belief for a while, and some still do believe, that the Blue is the better hunter. There is also a movement underfoot to get the Blue recognized since the color has been around as long as the breed and it is contested that it might have actually been the original color. But I'm not into the show ring. It's like any other color, breed him to a Silver female and you'll get both. His mother was blue and his father was silver.

I expected him to do the humping thing but it has not materialized, heck my old weim "danced with his bed" on a pretty regular basis!!:lol: No marking in the house, he hasn't even learned to lift his leg!! I dunno.... I can't decide one way or the other.

TOXIC

Have you sat him down and discussed it with him with sensitivity?

well, sitting here reading.. it seems (except for the freezing and storing suggestion) a matter of if you have decided for sure to breed him or not. Then whether the "boys" go or stay is the resulting action. All the rest about humping.marking.agression etc is just what you might end up having to deal with based on your breeding decision.