Dock and boat lift advice

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Okay, need some basic device from those with Docks/lifts or expereience with same.

The dock at my new home, is covered and has an older lift (pipe off the motor with steel cables and lift straps). I will be keeping my 18' Stratos there most of the time. I haven't got the details as yet to the 'lift' capabilities, but wanted some advice.

I'm wanting to know if I need to put a new motor/mechanism in to handle my Stratos (it's only had to lift an aluminum boat previously), what 'big' should I really be looking at?

I've seen some adverstised in the 3,000, 3,500, 4,000 and 4,500 lb range.

Any concerns using a system with two 'straps' that support the boat?

Any other common sense suggestions on lifts/docks/boat storage?

Tex

Tex

The only experiance I have is with the floating type lifts you need to know how much your boat weighs when you store it on the lift I think your boat would be fine on a 4000# lift I keep my 929 on a 4000# lift if you have any boat lift dealers shop for a used lift I bought mine 10 years ago at alot better price than new I dont know about the strap type lifts no one on my lake has one but I think if you store it for a long time you would be better off with the floating type because your boat will have more support like it was on your trailer because they adjust the bunks on the lift to fit your boat

JD

The straps can (and do) break... Also, I doubt that any lift that was sized for an aluminum boat will be big enough for your boat... gearing, capacity... Either a floating lift (which I would pick) or the kind with bunks that are sized and fitted to the boat... I don't know that you need electric (would be nice) and they come in battery/solar so you don't have to wire them... You are living my dream man... walk out of the house and into my boat...:cool:

I have the lift set up you describe. The first thing to check is the weight rating on the motor and cables. If the motor and cables are rated appropriately, and everything is in good condition, then you're probably fine. I ended up hiring a guy who specialized in dock and lift building to do a complete inspection. Didn't cost much (actually wrapped into the cost of the acquisition of the property it sits on) and I got piece of mind that it can hoist what I need it to hoist. For now that's an aluminum PT175. Later, it will be an 18' to 20' F&S. Oh, one last thing - make sure the cables are wound neatly on the pipe. They should not cross over or kink anywhere. This not only ensure that the boat is lifted evenly, but reduces wear on the cables.

Good luck!

Talked to one of my neighbors that uses lift straps on his Stratos (18' 6" model). The rear of his boat is now 'deformed' from the straps. No straps for me. I'm going to look at the other options. I have to do some re-work of the cables/eye's/etc, to make it the width of the slip. Also, as Jim has said, need to 'straighten' out some things.

Motor and gearing seem to be good. Need to get a ladder down there to check out the ratings. Cable on the lift's is serviceable, but will probably re-string with new to be sure.

More later.

Tex

I was about to say that straps and a bass boat dont mix. Flexing can cause deformations or cracking in the hull. Bass boats are meant to be supported from underneath by bunks.

Just copy your trailer design and have something made that will attach to the cables or even the straps.

I used to have a 18' Winner in a boathouse with straps that were meant for a 40'. I ended up making a copy of the bunks off the trailer and placing that in the straps which inturn would lift the boat.

Mini

What is it about a bass boat that makes it more prone to a problem with straps than other styles of fiberglass hulls?

Back