ding in fiberglass

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Easterling

Reaction score
I have to pull up in sand most of the time because there is no dock where I fish 90% of the time. I was under my boat this weekend putting polish where the sand has rubbed off the finish(only on the front end) and notice a chip about 1/4 of an inch or smaller, probably from a small rock in the sand. Is there a reccommended filler, something that can be sanded and smoothed down so it is not noticable? I am guessing that I need to do something with it and not just leave it that way.

Jimmy,

In the past when I had small chips or scratches in the gelcoat, I would use the "gel-coat repair kit" from west marine, it has different colors of pigment for color matching if needed. It was quite easy to do and looked good when finished. You could also buy a keel guard, which would help with the dings on the keel and 2-3 inches on both sides.

Eric H.

I'm in the process of filling in some gouges on the bottom of my boat. I went to the TAP plastics website and watched the 2-part video on repairing gelcoat. I bought all the materials at a TAP in Sacramento and have nearly completed the repairs. I had 4 pretty bad gouges. Two are completed and you can barely tell where the repair was made. The other 2 are going to require a couple applications of gelcoat to build up the repair area but they are getting done. The hardest part is getting the gelcoat to form a shape. My gouges are all on chines and getting the angle correct is not easy. Color matching was easy on my black hulled Triton but if you have a color other than black or white it would be a little harder. Watch the video and do it yourself, it's really not that bad.

NoCAL

Toxic, I just sent you an email.

I still need to fix the hole before I install the keel guard, yes?

The fiberglass repair kits are pretty simply to use. I've repaired several small dings in the past.As Toxic said, just get a keel guard and you don't have to worry about filling. It will seal it. I just took one off and installed a new one. Installing is very easy.

I'll second the KeelShields! Dan and I did our boats one Sunday afternoon 3 years ago, we have to beach the boat 4-5 months of the year due to the lake dropping, looks great, works great!

For fiberglass repair, for very think/shallow scratches in my black bottom, anyone recommend a website or store I can get some at ? Sounds like a great rainy day project for Eli and I.

Back