Depth Finders - Which One??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James D.

Reaction score
Ready to replace old hummingbird depth finder on 98 LX700 Nitro. I've been looking at Lowrance X71 & X91 and also the Humminbird Legend 2000 & 3000 series. I do not hear much talk about the Legend series and would like to know if people are happy with them. Anyone have any preferences or good or bad experiences with these? I also am curious as to the best installation location of transducer (thru hull vs transom) as it appears the LX700 hull is a stepped hull. I would like to get better reading while the boat is on plane. Since these are all kind of expensive, I would like to purchase the right one the first time.

Thanks in advance for you comments.

Regardless of which unit you purchase, read the depthfinder tutorial on Lowrance's website. It is very informative.

Bob G.

James D.,

You should be able to find most of the information you need about the Legend units on our web site (www.humminbird.com) but if not, I may be able to help. Although these units are based on the Zercom LPG2000 and Zercom Z160, they are not the same. They have a few new menus that control the Temp Alarm feature and also have a little more transmit power (all Legend units: 500 watts RMS / 4,000 watts Peak to Peak, Zercom LPG 2000 and Z160: 400 watts RMS / 3,200 watts Peak to Peak). Other than that they are mostly the same.

As far as inside-the-hull transducer mounting goes; generally the lowest point rearwards that you can mount a transducer inside the hull at, is the best for getting high-speed depth readings. So mounting it inside of the lowest or primary step sounds like great advice. The key is to get it in a location that does not get air bubbles across it - this holds true for transom mounting as well. Remember to always test the location first before you start applying the epoxy - no mater how much you think you know or how many transducers you have installed before. I have been guilty of this and had been lucky in installing transducer inside the hulls of boats for years. Several years back though, I installed a transducer inside the hull of my friend's boat. He still won't let me forget how "'the expert' epoxied a transducer in my boat hull and it didn't work!" So whichever sonar you buy, if you are going to mount the transducer inside the hull, test it first. Just add enough water to the bilge area so that there is no air under the transducer and place a zip-lock bag full of sand or gravel over it so that it will not move around and test away!

Just for everyone's information: Techsonic Industries owns Humminbird and has owned Zercom for quite a while now (I can't remember how many years). The Zercom LPG 2000 and Z160 were designed some time after Techsonic bought Zercom. The Zercom flashers you buy now or that come pre-installed in boats now were manufactured and possibly designed by Techsonic Industries as well.

Best regards to all,

Operator of one very used 1997 Pro Team 18DC

greg,ive got the lpg2000,and got into the super users menu,which works great i might add.but i was wondering if the hummingbird model is better than the one i got now?heard they put out more power.also,what transducers are available for that.also can they be mounted on the trolling motor?

thanks

I am very happy with my Eagle Ultra Classic. But if I had to choose an alternate, it would be the Garmin 240

Magna19,

Let me set the record straight first, both of these units - LPG 2000 and Legend 3000 - were designed and manufactured by Techsonic Industries. Techsonic owns both the Humminbird and Zercom brand names.

That said, yes, these units are very much alike. They share a lot of the same circuitry, hardware and software. To the user, they may appear to operate quite identically (except for the addition of the temperature alarm on the Legend units). Are the Legend units better? That is a matter of opinion. Depending on the settings you use and how and what you use your sonar for, you may not need the extra power that the Legend puts into the water. The Legend does have a more 'evolved' software than the LPG 2000 but again, depending on your use, you may not notice them.

The LPG 2000 and Legend 3000 (shallow water version) both use the same unique coaxial transducer. There is a trolling motor transducer that is basically the same as the transom mount transducer but comes with an adapter for mounting on you trolling motor. The adapter is available by itself (AD-STM-7) if you want to adapt your current transducer.

By the way, you also have the same Super User menus in Legend 3000 as you do in the LPG 2000.

Best regards to all,

Magna19,

Oops! Seems I stepped in it this time. We do have a puck shaped trolling motor transducer for the LPG 2000 and Legend 3000 units. It is called the "XTM-9-CB-24" and lists for $69.95 on our web site.

Sorry about the less-than-accurate answer, but the AD-STM-7 would be the less expensive way to go.

Back