Deck Extension

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Aasen

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the deck extension for my 2005 188 Sport. I looked at the dealer yesterday and they had a 288 with the extension. Am I correct, it is basically just a heavy duty piece of aluminium bent to fit tightly and then covered with carpet? It seems to fit very tight between the starboard dry storage and the port livewell. They want $200 with shipping for it. Seems pretty steep to me. For those who have them, are they worth the cost. The main reason for getting one is I'm so cramped up front when running the trolling motor. I have a power pedestal installed and my foot just won't seem to bend backwards enough to turn. I thought putting a pedestal base into the extension and moving myself back would help things. Can the little lip the extension fits on support all that weight?

NoCAL

I bought the extension when I purchased my 2003 185 sport. Well worth the cost and I highly recommend it. I barely fit comfortably with the trolling motor. I deal with it but I know other have moved their seat post back.

Now a question for you....I thought they replaced the 188 with the 189 in 2005. I saw a 2005 188 at the Bass Pro shop last month so I knew they made them in 2005. Why don't they put them on their web site? I like the 188 by the way. It looks better in design than the 2003 I have.

NoCAL

I have a 188 Sport and adding a deck extension with a pedestal base was the best change I made to the stock boat. Even if you have to pay the $200, it is worth every cent for the increase in space between the seat post and bow. You will have to do som esheet metal cutting/drilling to add the pedestal base.

I mounted my pedastal base toward the bow side of the extension for improved stability when leaning on my pedestal seat. When I'm lazy and using a regular seat on the post, I mount a 6 inch pedestal offset on the post as well so there is even more room.

Paul

I also added hatch pull straps to the bow hatches so they can be opened without have to remove the extension.

That's one of my next projects for my 185...I like the idea of removal:)

Thanks for the replys. I'm going to go ahead and get the extension I guess. I may have access to a friends machine shop to do the drilling for the pedestal base. Have to figure out how to put straps on the lids though. They are tough to open as it is. With the extension in there, they'll be impossible. Thanks for the comments.

Teri,

I'm a bit confused too. When I bought the boat they called it and the motor, 2005 models. As you mentioned though it's not on the website for 2005. When I was looking at the deck extension, the parts guy went to look up my boat and I said it was a 2004 since I bought it in August of '04. He couldn't find the boat but when he changed the request to 2005, it popped up. So I know it's a 2005 but why they aren't listed on the website is a mystery.

The straps are very simple to attach. All you need to do is drill a hole for the screw threw the edge of the lid and screw them on.

My hatches are very tough to open as well but the straps are very tough and they work fine.

Paul

NoCal,

The parts department at the Nitro Dealership I go to had the original straps in stock. I just called them and they mailed them to me. The cost for 3 straps, shipping, and tax was $16.23.

The Dealer I go to is Marine USA in Worcester, MA, if you want to call them to see if they have some straps (800-370-2628).

Paul

Back