Cut Herring

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Heintzman

Reaction score
Hey Fella's, I'm planning on fishing Clark's Hill during the first weekend in Jan and have been reading that the stipers should be active then. I have read a lot of articles saying to use live or "cut" herring on the bottom. What I haven't found is "how" to cut the herring. Is there any special way to cut the herring; what part to use; what part not to use; how to hook it? Any insight would be appreciated, I'm going to take the kid and would like to get him into a fish or two. Thanks.......8 days to go and it's bye bye Baghdad!

Jim

I only know how to cut it for catfish which is just 3 equal cuts, head middle and tail. I'm not a live (or dead) bait kinda guy. I will use minners for crappie.

Stay Safe!!

TOXIC

Generally, on "the Hill" and most of our other local landlocked striper impoundments, the herring (6"-8") are cut diagonally, from the anal vent to the upper part of the gill plate. This angular cut provides two tapered pieces with a good bit of gut sack for greasy, smelly, ooze. (Ooh! Yummy! LOL!!) Using a double hook rig (like catfishing) and a 1.5 - 2 oz. sinker off of main lake/river points near the channel will allow the "slick" to travel, bringing the linesides to you. I suggest a 12"-18" leader for your hooks (I use 2/0 light wire circle) off the main line, about 18" apart. Hook one piece through the narrow end of the tail, removing the tail fin so it doesn't "helicopter" on the way down, tangling up your rig. Hook the other piece through the eyes/skull and slowly lower away. After the rig has settled, keeping the slack at a minimum is preferred, but not to the extent that your bait is moving or bouncing with current/wave action. When they pick it up, they'll remove the slack and with the circle hooks, just start reeling. Good luck!

Great, thanks for the advice. I'll print it off and take it with me. Hopefully the fish and weather will cooperate. Looking forward to getting back onto American soil........er' water........ha ha ha. Ya'll have a great one.

Jim

Back