Creating your own website

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
How do you create a web site? I have cox internet and i can set up a page with it. but i can not figure it out at all.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

BJ

BJ,

Without knowing what you are having trouble with it's hard to give you any direction. I would be happy to walk you through the steps to put up a basic site, feel free to IM me if you see me online. I am on Yahoo and MSN Messenger: DodgeFemme.

If you want to learn how to do it right I would suggest getting a book on html or how to build a web site or sign up for a class, many towns have night classes for this. That would be a good start, from there the sky is the limit on how far you want to take it.

Cass

BJ - Each ISP has different software typicaly for their "free" stuff that lets you easily put it up (check out mine www.geocities.com/mstrepper/index.html). Or you can get more detailed and customized like Cass said, which i'm NOT an expert on!!! LOL

Trep

BJ,

You need a company or organization who can "host" the site on computers that are connected to the internet 24/7.

You create the pages and save them in an HTML (hyper-text mark-up language) or ASP ("active server page") language. For example, you can write a document in Microsoft Word, but when you go to save it, select "Web Page" under SAVE AS TYPE below where you name the file.

Once you have the file saved as HTML or ASP, you "upload" the file to the host computer. How that is done is different depending on the host's setup. Geocities has a page dedicated to uploading files to their computers. In other cases, you have to use FTP (File Transfer Protocol).

One of the easiest programs to use for setting up basic web pages is Microsoft Front Page. It's not the BEST, but it is simple enough that you can pick up the basics fairly easily. The URL (Universal Record Locator) for the website is coded (examples):

http:// - "Hyper Text Transfer Protocol" GO TO

"www" - world wide web (use an internet connection)to find

HOST like "geocities.com" - Registered domain name of the host site (which is a common way of looking for a computer with a specific IP address, which is a sequence of numbers

/ - <File name> (like "news.html" or "family.jpg")

You can have files and subfiles too, so that the URL reads

"http://www.stlhofman.com/canoeguides/news.htm"

Canoe Guides is a folder which contains several files, including "news.htm"

Cass has some good advice. Pick up a book about designing web sites and start reading!

I'm learning to do this, and manage the web site for the school where my wife teaches. It's hosted on Geocities, and designed using Front Page. Take a look if you want.

http://www.geocities.com/wordoflifelutheranschool

Here's another example of MS Front Page for the site we do at school:

www.hopkins.k12.ky.us/mnhhs/teachers/jackson

I know nothing about html codes, but FrontPage lets me do what I have to do.

Back