CRACKED FIBERGLASS

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TIM MARKING

Reaction score
I have a 2005 NX750 i was installing a onboard charger outlet in it, after I got up the nerve to cut a hole in my boat I was mounting the outlet and it has 3 srews for it, I drilled pilot holes for them but when i was screwing them in the fiberglass cracked around it and chipped up. What do I do with this? Thanks!

Look for a product called EVERCOAT they make several differant products you can use for hair line cracks or chips. US BOAT carries it although they are pricey.GOOGLE IT.

mark

ALWAYS use a countersink to chamfer the edges of holes in fiberglass after you drill them. This will eliminate the chipping and cracks.

BruceM

As Bruce said "ALWAYS use a countersink to chamfer the edges of holes in fiberglass"

If you already installed the outlet, I would remove the srews & chamfer the edges. Also use a small amount of silicon sealer in the holes or on the screws before installing. It will prevent the srews from backing out from vibration & will help in keeping water out.

Dennis

Also drilling through masking tape helps also.. I always mask the area an drill through the tape.. gives you a nice clean hole...

Back