Crabbing/Back Bays/Intercoastal Water Way Boat Ideas

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Castineira

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've been thinkig of posting this for a while and its been kind of slow recently so I'll give it a shot. I have been tossing around the idea of buy another boat to have with my bass rig. I've been looking around and was hoping others could post suggestions or advice on a boat to be used for back bay fishing and crabbing. The lady really likes crabbing so I figured I'd make me and her happy. I'm looking on suggestions on models with only a few requirements: I would like the boat to have a floor/walls (no carpets), contructed of aluminum. a remote steer center or side, deep-Vee with a lot of freeboard, pedastal seat brackets, and possibly a 25 inch transom to name a few. The only catch is the package length has to be under 21 feet long and must be able to fit into a 8 foot door. I know this is asking alot and might be limited to options but I was hoping others may know of some I haven't looked at yet. I like and have been looking at the Sea Nymph AW, decent bare bones boat but nice for my needs.

Thanks CHRIS CAS

Hey Chris, i can not help with the aluminum gig...But Ranger ahs a 188i that fits your bill...

I am personally looking at a Z21i.....

I live a half hour from the Jersey shore, and through my whole life I've been down the shore a few times in the summer for fishing and crabbing.

I know some of people will disagree with me, but metal and saltwater......eh, if it was me I'd go with a small fiberglass rig. I found out from experience and others that in the long run it works out tobe a better choice.

Go Phillies!

Chris, I'm at Fripp Island, SC this week, where the boating terrain is exactly what you describe. By far, the most popular boat style is the fiberglass skiff. There are tons of Carolina Skiffs running around here, with a few Boston Whaler skiffs thrown in the mix.

Ditto Rich on the Carolina Skiff. I bought a new 19.5' CC Skiff in '05 and have ran it in many environments with great success. From the coast, just within sight of the beach, to waaaay up the Suwanee River, it's handled it all. Great multi-purpose hull. :)

Chris, don't listen to them:huh: What you need is what I had as a kid! A 20', flat bottom vee, WOOD boat.:rolleyes: It had a 1 and 1/2 McCulloch direct drive motor so you had to be aware of which way you were pointed:D I forget what the beam was but it was plenty wide enough and I'd bet that Toxic, Mac and me could stand on the side to dip crabs:lol: Getting to my crabbing spot was a little slow while putputputting along while I steered from the tiller in the rear. It was a great boat and you only had to caulk it about once a year:wacko: The third year I had that boat, about when I was 14yrs. old, I pulled it all the way onto the shore, tilted it and covered her all up. That winter someone decided he didn't like the boat, or me, so he/they pulled the cover off and set it on fire destroying it completely. Now, there was only 15 families or so who lived where I did year round but I never heard anything. To this day it pi$$es me off and I hope I never hear who did it.

Sorry for the story but when I saw CRABBING I just couldn't help myself.

Uncle Billy

Back