covering the boat for winter

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Gregan

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has ever tried this one. I used to get my Nitro shrinked wrapped and it cost couole of hundred each year. Friend of mine gave me an idea. I bought a large heavy duty tarp from home depot along with a couple of plastic adjustable saw horses. I support the tarp with the saw horses to have tent like effect. Works very well so far after a couple of snowfalls. Also bought cover pole supports from Cabelas but they collapsed from weight of snow so I just added another saw horse, Works great. You just have to habg some kind of dry bags and your set.

I also paid a couple hundred dollars for shrink wrap the first year with my Targa, then this year with the Toon I built a cover from 2" PVC pipe, 1" screws in each joint to hold it together and a good tarp. I marked the pieces so when I take it apart in the spring I will be able to put it back together again next fall.

I am considering keeping my new boat in the garage next winter but for now it's shrink wrapped waiting for spring.

Cass :)
toon.jpg

Works well as long as you can keep your boat out of high winds. Park it on the protected side of the house or else you'll have shredded tarp that gets frozen to your carpet. Not that I know....I've heard! LOL

I don't like shrink-wrap..for one reason. You have to let air in so condensation won't be a problem. Most are wrapped too tight to do so. Plus the wrap will "sweat" from being cold then hot. Especially with aluminum..it's a problem(stains & discoloration). You just want to be able to keep weather and animals out but, letting plenty of air in.

TEE

I get my boat wrapped every year. If its done right add have the proper venting put in moisture is not a problem. My boat is as dry as i put it away every time when i cut off the wrap. I dont have to worry about snow buildup, wind etc. I can just park it, jack it up and forget about it until spring.

Cass if you dont want to garage that boat next year take if over to Forge Pond in Westford, he does a great job on the wrap and his price is reasonable. Thats where i take mine.

ive been using blue tarps for a few years now. i run a piece of pvc from pole to seat pole and zip tie it in place. it forms a nice tent and it lets alot of air and no water in. i just bungee it to the trailer.

Jim, Ed took care of my Targa and does do a great job with the shrink wrap. His shop is my first choice for anything out of warranty and shrink wrap. Ed, along with a couple of un-named others contributed to my decision to go over to the dark side. :)

Cass

Back