Cornfused.....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I am really torn about what to do with my current Jeep. I am really satisfied with it and I hate to give up something that I really like.

I would really like a car to drive every day but I can't afford the Jeep I have now and a somewhat expensive car.

I have located 2 vehicles that I really like. 1999 Jeep GC Limited with 65000 for 13500 and a 2000 Dodge Durango R/T with 54000 for 16500. I really like both. I think the Jeep has nicer features and the Dodge would be better for towing with a 5.9L but worse on gas. There is also a 2000 Durango SLT loaded for 13500 with 58000 but its white. Not sure I want white. He is desperate to sell it because he is over in Taiwan.

I could drive a cheaper tow vehicle for this year and bank some cash towards the car but I don't know if I can part with the Jeep but then I think "I can get one just like it (except the color)."

What to do?

There's always a good deal out there in Autos/Trucks. If it were me, I would turn a blind eye to the color and buy the white one. If you are just going to tow with it then it doesn't matter and it has fewer miles which equates to a better resale if you want to get rid of it later. You can always spiff up the white with some after market stuff. Who knows, it might just grow on ya!! Things like that happen. I would really low ball the price also.

TOXIC

I thought I did low ball with 13500. Thats less than trade in value black book. The white one has no heated seats and no sunroof. Two features that I really like. I know I should be willing to give that up but not so sure I can. SPOILED!

Toxic, I can't believe you arent telling me to stick with the Jeep.

JR, I am actually finding the opposite. You can talk them down on a Jeep to about $500 above black book "clean" trade in. On the Dodge, you can't come close to that. Usually takes at least $1000 over clean trade in. I think people want the Dodges because of the 3rd row seat which I would probably never use.

JGC's are great but I want as much metal on the road as possible when towing....I want H-E-A-V-Y vehicles for safety sake. The Durango is a heaver vehicle. That's why I'm getting a 3/4 ton Silverado when I could get by with a 1/2 ton. I want the weight and power. You want a fun vehicle then so be it, get all of the toys, but for "towing" it is another ballgame with different rules and considerations. Gotta buy the best vehicle for the application.

TOXIC

Rick, I thought about that route but I have my mind set on a mini cooper (at least until my woman's right to change my mind kicks in).

Teri, sounds like you like what you got. Leave well enough alone.

Ed

There is a 1998 VW Cabrio convertible for sale at work. I have been pondering that and keeping my Jeep.

Teri,

Seems from an arm's length view that you are not decided as yet.

Keep what you have, enjoy it, and move on. Find something that is affordable for other driving - like the VW above; if you really want a 'car' to drive.

Tex

It depends where you want your "big" money to be. It sounds like Teri doesn't want 2 expensive money vehicles. If I had to pick, I would by a cheaper, bigger, heaver duty tow vehicle, and put the most $$ in the fun to drive car, be it a sports car or fun car, or convertible or whatever.

I on the other hand am putting the bucks in my tow vehicle because I have a long way to go and I am in it a lot. I still will have my Wrangler for topless fun!!LOLOL (the jeep is toppless, not me...shudder).

TOXIC

Tox makes a good point. I also choose to put my "big" money into my tow rig. I tow long distances often and i dont want to sacrifice reliability. I would like to get a secondary or toy vehicle too but mine would be of the two wheeled varity, either a harley vrod or a sport bike. I have thought about selling my Dakota and buying another truck to get a toy vehicle but since i would still use my truck over half the time for commute the towing it makes more sense for me to keep it and its payment and either buy a cheap bike i can pay cash for or but some a few more St croix rods and shimano reels.

Teri,

I have the Durango with the 4.7L and I have a 99' Dodge Quad cab with the 5.9L and both vehicles get the same gas mileage. Between 14-15 MPG.

Jon

Teri-

How about another Grand Cherokee?

Just saw one on the bulletin board here at work:

V-8

Leather

67,000 miles

$14,000

az

Mini's are cool. Friend of ours had one. Drive pretty nice too.

I would go with the nicer tow vehicle and the cheaper fun car.

Carlos

I had one of the originals back in the early 70's..... Their ouside wheel track could about fit within the inside of the wheel track on the new ones!

One of these days..... One of these days..... I'm gonna go test drive one..... And watch the salesman's eyes bug out when I run it out like I used to with the old one on the course at Mid-America Raceways!! LOL!!

Last time I did that to a salesman was when the first Turbocharged MR-2's came out..... Fun!! :)

Back