Considering a Pro Team 175

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Sullivan

Reaction score
First of all, what a great site! This place is a wealth of knowledge for the prospective boat buyer.

My brother and I own a Carolina skiff J16 which we transformed into a bass boat. It's bare bones compared to a tracker. Two casting decks, a bow mount TM, and a 15 hp tiller steer (don't laugh). I've fished out of my buddy's Triton enough times to know I'm ready to make the jump to a real bass rig.

Most of the advice I read says go with as much hp as you can afford; and go with a reputable dealer. I'm considering the PT 175 with a 50 Merc (Good choice?). I'm also considering upgrading the TM. Is that a swap that can be made thru the dealer? And would you recommend any other upgrades?

One more: What has your experience been like with BPS as a dealer.

Sorry to ramble and just fire questions aimlessly. Thanks for any advice in advance!

You bet..good all around boat but, if you plan on fishing bigger water with a lot of acerage...A 185/90 HP would be an even better choice:)

I bought mine used so I can't help you with a dealer.Only to go with your gut feeling,if he is bad mouthing other brands instead of telling you all the good stuff about yours,that's always a bad sign in my book.

The 50 will push that boat to about 32-35 mph.

Fine for two people,but too crowded for more than that.

I have a 55 lb thrust Minn Kota on mine and it does fine,but would not want anything smaller.

I think it would be a fine boat to step up into.

Good luck.

Steve

Boat dealers (even BPS dealers) are like car dealers. Some good, others not.

Ask here about the dealer you are considering. Chances are, someone has some knowledge.

You can generally upgrade add-on's to the Tracker/Nitro line, if you stay within the 'manufacturer'. If you want a better HBird (like a nice Matrix 17 or bigger one), they can usually swing you a deal. If you wanted to switch to Lowrance or Garmin, you generally have to buy it as an extra, and pay to have it mounted. Then you still have the HBird that came with it. Contractal agreements mostly.

Tex

Yes...I'm glad you said that Tex, Mkae sure you get it with a water temp gauge and at least get a 55 lb. TM with a Gator Mount.

I have a 2001 PT 185 with a 90 HP Mercury, I have upgraded the trolling motor to a Brute 756 Motorguide 56# 12/24 volt w/gator mount. I am considering selling it so I can upgrade to possibly an Avalanche. If by chance you are interested, respond here in the forum and we'll go from there. I was going to ask $9600 for it.

First - If you haven't you can check out the tracker website www.trackerboats.com, and right now (might be why you mentioned the 50hp) the 50hp is a FREE upgrade from the 40hp!!

I've had my 2000 PC 175 with the 40hp for 5 years and a GREAT boat. As others have said 2 is easy to fish, 3 it depends on the size of the guys, the type of fishing and such.

Everyone is right on Dealers, i've used the Atlanta BPS/Tracker store and have had UNBELIEVABLY GREAT service!! Heck I even got to fish out of one of the Store/State Team members 929 with a 250xb on the back!! (Thanks Big Dan!!!)

The dealer can upgrade you out the wazzoo if you want. Remember the price of the boat/motor/trailer is FIXED (like Saturn and Carmax, though Tracker did it first!!!) but the extras are ALL negotiable! I had my dealer do a custom package with a Spare Tire/Mount, SS AnchorMate, Guest 2611 and on-board charger for a great deal. I've got the stock 43lb thrust Trolling motor and it is just fine. I've fished KY Lake in April for 7 hours in a T, and no problems. But if you have the $$ and want a bigger one, go for it!!

One suggestion, if you have (if not GET ONE) a BPS outdoor rewards card (not the credit card). And for th extras you want, tell the dealer you'll buy them and bring them to the service department for him to install. This way you get the Points!! If the Dealer does it you don't. Then again, if the dealer gives you a SWEET deal on the extra's do it that way anyway!!

Trep

I have a 2000 PT175 with a 50. I bought it used at a screaming deal, so couldn't complain.

If I was buying a new one, I'd try to get either the PT185 or Tournament V-18, either one with AS MUCH HP as I could afford.

My boat will go 34 solo with 3/4 fuel and all equipment. With two people, full fuel and load, you're lucky to get 33, all speeds GPS.

I don't believe it.....

Michael didn't mention that he WON the tournament.....

Nor did he post a picture.....

Guess that leaves it up to me!
Trep%20with%20FISH.jpg

I'm not going to fish huge water. The biggest water I might fish will be lake wallenpaupack in the Pocono Mountains (5700 acres). If I ever get back down to stick marsh / farm 13, I guess that would be the biggest. I also fish electric only once in a while. I'll just throw a TM on the transom, raise the 50, and go twin turbo.

Interesting stuff guys. Anyone have experiences with the new BPS in Harrisburg, PA?

PS The 185 won't fit in my garage. Thanks anyway

I fish alot of elec only lakes also.That's why I like this size boat.It is small enough to drop in the local lake for a couple of hours after work,but big enough to hit the bigger water.

P.s. leave the 50 in the water.It will keep the stern from blowing all over the place when it's windy.

The law just says you can't run them,nothing about having them in the water.

Steve

sully, i live in reading pa.and hit wally up in the poconos a few times during the year, i got an 04 pt 175 with the 60hp merc, the 60 does great for those medium size lakes (about 36-39mph)if at all poss go for as much hp as you can afford, and for the trolling motor,UPGRADE, the stock MGpro4300 is ok, but the mount is noisy and 43lbs isn't enough for electric only lakes in the area. if you got any other questions, hit me an e-mail or i can give you my phone #.

tim n

Tim

I used to always hit the tulpehocken in my trout fishing days. That's the color I want! Sweet red! I think it would look good behind the Supercrew. Where did you purchase or was it a private sale?
465692.jpg

i got mine new at bowers marine in reading, it's like 15 min. for my house. they treated me good when i purchased it, gave me lots of info, and the service department seems top-notch (i,ve had 2 minor probs so far) during the summer you'll find me at blue marsh, hopewell and beltzville alot

tim n

I have a 98 PT175 and couldn't be happier. For the money, it's a great boat. I only have a 25 but for the lakes that I fish here in Western PA it's what I need. After six years of use, no major problems. I can't say that I would buy another one because I don't have to, mine is in perfect shape.

And in case you can't tell from me!s picture that it's a TRACKER 175 that won the T with a GUEST Charger!!!!...
2004%20April%20Rally%20big%20fish%20in%20boat4%20for%20web.jpg

or you couldn't tell it was also the Scales & Tales Mojo that helped!!!
2004%20April%20Rally%20big%20fish%20in%20boat2%20for%20web.jpg

Trep,

You are starting to sound just like Roland Martin...LOL

Steve

Steve - Just call me the one fish wonder!!! LOL

And Yo Dog, I had to give PROPs to my brotha G, Mac Daddy, for hookin me up!!!!

MAN the weather SUCKS today! We got about an inch of ice, and its STILL sleeting!!! Gonna be an indoor day. I doubt I could get out of the subdivision (have to up up/down 2 hills on the way). Kids are having a Jammie day, and watching cartoons!

I may get in the boat and organize it a bit, clean it up and make Vroom Vroom noises like you yankees!!!! LOL

We just bought our 2005 PT175 this past October. Bought the first with the new "Electric Blue" color scheme right off the showroom floor at the Nashville BPS, even though the salesman told us they didn't want to sell it because it was the only blue one they had, and that they normally didn't sell floor models. We also had an additional fishfinder mounted on the bow. We've fished the LBL area and the stock TM and the 50hp did fine for us. Tows easily behind our SuperCrew.

I should add that there is a shop that does Tracker boat/motor service an hour from my house, but if a problem arises I'll take the boat back to the Nashville BPS/Tracker Service Center 2.5 hours away from me. I was impressed with the overall treatment of us when we were considering buying & then bought and picked-up the boat in Nashville. :)

Trepster...You are OVER your 50 limit picture postin' privelage in a month's time! Now go to your room youngman!

I've got a '98 175 with a 50 on it. Does 33 with me and my wife @ 5100 rpm (GPS). I upgraded(?) TM to MK PD 55.

Good boat in up to about 2 footers. You will get wet with spray in the rough stuff.

Good Boat.

Back