Computer Help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
My laptop has the "blue screen of death". I cant remember what I did last year to fix it. I remember I had to reinstall some stuff. Its wierd though....It NEVER showed any signs of messing up. My gateway (desktop) that did this was messing up before I got the bluescreen.....again my laptop has performed flawlessy till today.

BJ

I need more info.

What Operating system are you running?

When is it blue screening?

Are you getting s STOP message on the blue screen? If so, what is it?

Try:

As it boots up (before the splash screen), press F8.

Choose "Last known good configuration" and see if it will startup normally.

its windows xp

it starts and says 'Windows encountered a problem bla bla bla bal"

and then it gives chooses like start in safe mode etc. and then start windows normally...none of those work

it goes to the windows xp page where the lil bar goes across teh bottom (start up page..dont know what its called) and then it goes to the blue screen.

Start starting with last known good config.

If that doesn't work, Usually when I get to this point, (and if you have a WinXP install CD), you can reinstall Windows XP and that will allow you to get your data back as long as you DO NOT FORMAT the drive.) If you don't need any data off the hard drive, then boot up to the XP CD, format the drive, reinstall XP, install critical updates, and then reinstall your apps.

This takes 2-3 hours, but it beats trying to troubleshoot it all day.

BJ, Have you heard the hard drive making a "ticking" sound lately? You could be experiencing the beginning phases of hard drive failure. Hopefully that won't happen. I got the blue screen of death 3 times in one day and then the hard drive died. I lost everything I had on my work computer. Even tried putting the hard drive in the freezer. The freezer trick worked for a while and allowed me to get some data off of it.

make sure that the fan on top of the CPU is working.. it is a little

muffin fan sitting on top of a big chip, on the computers mother board.... :unsure:

Thanks guys!

A guy I work with at BPS is the IT manager for a Museam here in Oklahoma. He said to bring it to him. He has a long history in computers and he owned a computer service center for a while. i'm going to take it to him on Monday and he siad he'll have it back to me on Tuesday....cant beat that!

BJ, did you try banging on it and cursing real loud? Sometimes that works for me.:lol::wacko:

;)Harpo

DaveTNitro do you know how to open a laptop case? I have tried numerous times without success to open ours to blow out the dust, Seems to be some hidden catch holding it together even after removing all the screws. I though the if you wanted BJ to check his fan(heatsink) you might know how to open one. We have an e-machine as well as others but the emachine is the oldest and I would like to blow out the dust.

Ed, sometimes there is a hidden screw under one of the stickers on the bottom of the laptop. It voids any warranty once these stickers are removed, but it sounds like its an old laptop anyway. Take your finger nail and push along the stickers, if you feel a hole then there is probably a screw there. Also, make sure you have taken out the battery and any drives that can come out, they may be holding it together.

"BJ, did you try banging on it and cursing real loud? Sometimes that works for me"

Well yeah, that's generally our first attempt to fix...

Back