Computer Help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
I have the story of my BFL tourny written on my laptop. How do I connect to the internet with it? I thought I could unplug the line going from my modem to the desk top and then plug it into my laptop. For some reason its not letting me email my story to the desktop or letting me online.

Thanks

BJ

I don't know much,

but is all your server information on your laptop ?

Doesn't it need the information on your server so it can connect ?

Would it be easier to put it onto a disk and pop it into your desktop ?

Maybe somebody else will know more,I have to ask my kids when I have questions.:wacko:

BTW..I'm curious to read all about it.

Steve

Are you trying to connect the laptop to the Internet or to the desktop computer? You should be able to plug in your phone line (if you have a dialup account) to your laptop and dial the correct number for your Intenet service provider. Some companies like AOL require you to install software on your PC first. Remember to use your correct user ID and password for your Intenet service provider. Depending on your operating system (windows 2000, XP, etc..) it should tell you if you are connected or not.

bj, are you using a cable modem? if you are they tie the modem to the computer you installed it on using that computers mac address. If you intend to connect up your laptop on a regular basis a broadband router might be a good thing to get. It will allow you to share the connection(wireless too if you want for your laptop if you want it) and use both computers at the same time if you want. They are pretty easy to setup and get conected. let me know if you want more info, i certanly can help you get what you need. I just need to know what you are running for internet access.

BJ, you're on Cox aren't you? JimB knows of what he speaks. Has helped me out on several occasions. I have the wireless router he's talking about. Andy can be on his computer in his room, my wife on her laptop with an eathernet line running into the router and me on my computer all at the same time. The router is around 50 or 60 bucks at Best Buy and then you'll need a wireless card for the laptop and I'm not sure how much that costs.

Harpo

If you go wireless make sure you get the G band, B band is pretty much outdated (G is backward compatible with B). Router is very easy to setup.

The computer came in on friday. I ordered the router hasnt come in yet. It should be here tomorrow.

I was able to get the internet on the laptop earlier today. I forgot how i did it tho :angry:

The laptop is ready to go wireless as soon as i get my router in.

I have cox internet/cable modem if that helps.

Thanks!

Is there anyway i could connect the two computers together real quick? I dont have a disk drive on the laptop because i dont use disks much anymore and i'm out of blank CDs. I'm dying to get this story posted. Its VERY LONG but i think you'll enjoy reading about it.

thanks again!

On my new Dell laptop, I right click on the symbol of the two computers with the red X on them and the select open network connections. Chris F.

Chris, dont i need to connect them somehow? with a wire or wirelessly? I think my desk top has a wireless card in it but i'm not sure....

BJ

I just glaced over the thread and I may have missed the main idea. But, If you just want to email your report, just write it to a 3.5 inch floppy or CD which ever you have installed and take it to your desktop.

Or you could get a very cheap USB drive and use it like we used to use 3.5 inch floppies. I got one a while back that cost lest than a box of floppies. They are so easy and most all computers nowdays have usb ports... I bet you can get one for less than $20 most anywhere...

Tight Lines,

Bill:)

I would do that Bill and Richard except......I'm out of blank CDs and I dont have the USB memory stick thing.

The router wil come in today and I have to run some errands later so i'll pick up some blank CDs

BJ

BJ cant you just email it to your self? Then you could connect to any PC and downlaod it there. Hopefully that will help.

Donnie

Back