Computer Gurus

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilbert cales

Reaction score
I purchased a new lap top. I now want to empty everything out of my desk top, and restart it. How should this be done? Thanks

Bubby

You want to DELETE everything off your desktop or you want to move the data from the desktop to the laptop?

That new laptop shpould have a version of XP on it and on the XP disk is a program that works with everything from 98 and up... The Files ands Settings Transfer Wizard... You can pull everything fromone to the other... The tricky part is getting them "networked"... Unless your old desktop has a CD Burner then you can creat a "file" on the old machibne and burn it and then use the wizard to extract the files from the CD...

Of course you could just get a fairly average 12 yr old kid from the neighborhood and I am sure he will be able to do it fore you...

Are you looking to move applications (e.g. photoshop, games, etc....) or files you created? How old is the desktop?

In terms of actual applications, if your new laptop doesn't include them, you will have to reinstall the applications from the original disk you got them on.

In terms if files, there are a couple of other ways I can think of to do this.

1. Easiest Way if you have a USB port on the desktop (I assume you have one on the laptop). Buy what is called a portable lipstick drive. They are no bigger than a standard house or car key. One example of this is a Cruzer mini 1GB drive. Plug it into the USB port (be careful when buying as some support USB 1.0 and others support USB 2.0). Transfer files from the desktop to this lipstick drive from the desktop, take the drive plug it into the laptop and then transfer from the drive tot he laptop. Very straightforward as long as yo get a drive compatible with both machines USB ports. Cost of one of these drives is less than $150.00 depending on how much data the drive can hold and USB devices typically require no installation as they are plug and play.

2. Easy Way if you have a USB port on the desktop (I assume you have one on the laptop) and a digital camera and multi-suppport flashcard reader. If you have a digital camera, and assuming you have at least a 512MB card, transfer files from the desktop to the card and then from the card to the laptop. For example if you had a little less than 3GB of files, it will take 6 transfers to move everything. If you do have a camera and don't have at least a 512MB card and your camera supports it, I'd suggest buying one as they always come in handy. Cost of the reader is $20.00, cost of a 512MB flash card is about $50.00, cost of a 1GB card is less than $90.00

3. Harder way - buy a 2- or 4- port hub. Connect both machines to the hub and transfer files directly from one to the other. I say this is harder because if you don't know much about pc's and get nervous about installing software, you might get intimidated, however, if you can get through that, transferring files is as simple as copying from one drive to another. Cost of the hub is about $20.00 - you need to verify you have a way to connect the two machines to the hub. If you don't, then you need to buy a nic card for the desktop. I'll bet your laptop already has a connection.

4. Another effective but hard way - get a GMail account and send yourself mail with file attachments from your desktop. Open up mail onlaptop and download. If you have very large files, you may not be able to do this. Cost - free but very time intensive

5. Another effective but hard way - upload to your library here, download to your laptop and then erase from your library. Leaves files open for anyone to look at while you are doing this.

6. Best way - get a friend who has a server. Do FTP to the server from the desktop and then download to the laptop. Cost - free

Bill, The Mad Kayaker

Back