cobntacts @ corporate ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRCM

Reaction score
As some of you my know, I have a problem with the hull on my rig. I found some spots right above the bunk board on the stbd side that look like insufficient resin was used when they built the hull. It does appear to be sealed by the gelcoat, but you can see & feel the weave pattern of the fiberglass.

The dealer took some pics of it, and had their local fiberglass guy give them an estimate.

He says it is something called 'osmosis', that happens when the hull sits on the wet bunk board. He also says if it is fixed, it will come back.

Well, calling it osmosis (by definition) means water is getting into the fiberglass from the bunk boards, which is not a good thing, but they seem to think it is not an issue, and don't seem to want to fix it.

1) Has anyone ever heard of such a thing ?

2) Does anyone have a contact @ Nitro I can talk to to make sure it gets fixed and fixed right ??

Methinks BS. Why would the fiberglass suck up (osmosis=capillary action)moister from the bunks but not while just sitting all summer in, uh, water?

Pondscum / TRCM,

It's not BS - it's an actual thing that can happen to fiberglass. Owners of other boat brands have reported similar issues also - I know Triton has them. My Cajun did too. So does Ranger, Skeeter, Javelin, Stratos, and quite a few others I've heard about. Factory responses for each brand were almost the exact same - Osmosis.

The problem can happen with a boat sitting in water too - although most of the time, that problem is much worse. I've seen bass boats and cruisers that sit in water all year long. Someone finally takes them out and it looks like scale on the bottom of the hull, from the waterline up.

The issue has been blamed on fiberglass type, resin content, type of other materials used, etc... but has never been proven one way or another.

It is my opinion, and my opinion only, that the water PH level, salinity, etc... combined with heat and how you store your boat, have more to do with it than anything else. This is not to say in any way that what you are doing when storing your boat is "wrong" - just that it is adding to the issue - and you may not be able to do anything about it. The water on your carpetted bunk boards, combined with the heat of summer and how it evaporates (or doesn't because it's trapped between the bunk boards and your boat hull), probably is what is causing this. I read a report that someone claimed that Triton told them "don't get the bunks wet". HUH??? :blink: How was the person supposed to launch and load their boat?

I can say this - I'm almost 100% sure that if you get it repaired - it will be back. The only way to avoid it would be a total rework of how your boat is stored, and even then, that might not take care of the problem.

If it's not causing performance issues, and the gel coat isn't cracked and exposing fiberglass to the water, I wouldn't mess with it. But that is just me.

Best of luck to you if you decide to get it fixed.

All the best,

Glenn

I have it on my Ranger 520 on the outer bunks. Just looks orange peeled. Doesnt bother me or the performance of the boat.

Fiberglass/resin/gel caot is actually a porous material. Most boats that sit in the water all the time get painted to avoid this problem (and algae growth/zebra mussels).

This is why moisture meters are used in marine surveys.

My concern with it, is

1) the boat is barely 1 yr old

2) it is NOT stored in the water

3) this can lead to delamination of the hull over time

I don't want this to turn into a problem down the road that makes the boat un-useable or un-sellable.

1) I've seen it on even new boats than yours

2) Doesn't matter - your bunks have water on them.

3) Maybe, but more than likely not.

If you are that worried about it, then just get it fixed and don't be overly concerned with what people on here think. It sounds like you have it dead-set in your mind already that no matter what anyone says - it's going to be a problem and something that is going to constantly be on your mind. If it bothered me that bad, then yeah, I'd get it fixed. But seriously - I don't think it will ever be an issue.

Best of luck to you no matter what you decide to do. If it were me, I'd run it. If it becomes an issue later down the road, it's still under warranty - and they would have to fix it then if it got worse. I've never heard of a boat coming apart from that while running down the lake, if that is one of your concerns.

All the best,

Glenn

What? You glass dudes have problems with your top caps and osmosis?

WTH?:lol:

I think you guys need to quit knockin' tin:p

I dont knock tin, I pass them :)

TEE,

I LOVE Tin! In fact, I should be drinking out of several "tin" containers this weekend. I'll send in my empties to the recycling plant so the boat manufacturers can start getting your next new boat ready. :p

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

You might pass me Mini but, you won't pass up the gas station!:lol:

And Glenn...no new boats for me...this one will last as long as I want to use it.

Latest posts

Back