Close Call

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Berry

Reaction score
Needless to say this weekend was a total waste of (my) time. It RAINED all weekend in Benton County (MO.).

I went down Friday night and put my boat in (in the rain). I then installed some plastic slides that I bought from PBS for my trailer

Not that I ever have....but the rate at which rain can fill a boat is only equaled by the rate at which leaving the drain plug out can fill a boat! :unsure:

I know a guy who wallowed his boat [things can't sink] by forgetting to put the plug in. Good thing is that when I did it the second time, I mean "he" did it the second time, he had learned that the plug can be put in from inside the battery/gas tank compartment-:lol:.

Did the *forget the plug* thing 2 weeks ago on my 929...fished for 5 hours (me and son) and had no idea i forgot the plug until i turned the bilge pump on just from habit. I swear other than the slow takeoff i would have never known i forgot the plug...boat never seemed to sit lower in the water or anything...5 hours in one spot...no plug...boat floated just like normal.

RW

I did the same thing as RW in my TV-18...fished a good 4 hours with no plug....No difference in the boat....we were on a small lake and I never started the big motor...when we put it back up on the trailer water shot about 4 feet out of the drain hole for about 15 minutes....

I believe it took in all the water it could....

Comforting to know....

Not sure with water coming in from rain....

Mine gets to sleep in the garage...LOL

az

I know better now that's for dang sure!

The new Pro Team tin rigs....you cannot put the plug in from the inside and I am too short to reach all the way back under the transom to get to it.

Luckily the first time it happened, the wife and the truck weren't far from the ramp as I'm swetting bullets running around in circles screaming my head off....not a pretty site but, funny afterwords:blink:

I was surprised to find about 10" of water in my bilge this AM after an overnight storm. Not as serious in a deep v because it's just not the same about of water as 10" in a mod V. Still, it's always an eye opener to realize how much water accumulates in a boat during a moderate rainstorm. According to the local COE web site, we had .25" of rain overnight.

Took the pump about 10 minutes to get it out. I'll be adding an automatic switch as my next project.

Here's what I don't understand Rich...they say "1/4" of rain in a rain gauge.

How's that equate to ground absorption when most everything is concrete anymore:wacko:

You get a good storm around here...water will dang near carry your car off in the street.

Marty,

You're comment on "things can't sink" has me scratching my head. Are you saying a tin boat can't sink? I've got a little lake across the street from my house that has a small aluminum boat laying on the bottom in 5 feet of water. I fished over it tons of times over the past 4 years without knowing it was there.... until this year, when the water became VERY clear after the city installed aerator systems into the lake... and there she was - it's a small one, but it's there.... on the bottom.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back