Cleaning scum off motor?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I bought a used pontoon that had obviously sat in the water and not been cleaned. I bought some toon cleaner from a boat dealer but you can't use that on the motor. I scrubbed it pretty good with Grease Lightning and 409. It got alot of it off but not all of it. Is there a better cleaner for that?

Also, what type of cleaner do I use on the carpet?

For the motor, Bass Boat Clean and Shine from Kick'nBass works great. If you can't find it locally (and probably can't yet), try an 7:1 ratio of water and vinegar. CLR and the tidybowl stuff work too. It's mineral deposits that you have.

For carpet, a pressure sprayer at the local car wash on RINSE. Remember that the carpet doesn't let water drain through it (there's nowhere for it to drain), so anything you put into the carpet as far as cleaners is very hard to get back out. Don't get the pressure sprayer too close to the carpet. Use a wetvac to suck out any excess water and air dry. Spot treat the carpet if you have stains that won't come out.

On my old boat there was a lot of scum and oxidation on the lower half of the motor. I tried many different things to get it off and I finally found that Soft Scrub cleaner worked like a charm. Put it on and let it sit for a little bit and then rub it off. This made mine shine like new again.

I have always used Limeaway from the wifes kitchen don"t tell her though works great removes lime real well.

LOL @ Wolfcount. That one took me a minute.

Soft Scrub on the motor should take alot of it off. For the carpet, do like snowman said, and try a foaming glass cleaner on the heavy stains. Spray it on, let it foam and set a minute, scrub with a soft brush, and wet-vac it up.

Craig

Some good paste wax will take care of the any minor stains!

RoyC

Teri,

I am not sure if you are aware but Rich Stern also hosts a toon owner site. Go to our home page and click the sister site link.

My dad has a pontoon and uses CLR on the toons.

Rich D

Back