Cleaning Boat Carpet

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass Caldwell2

Reaction score
What is the best way to clean boat carpet? Mine is dingy and needs a good cleaning. Also, what brand of cleaner do you use.

Thanks.

Plain water and a scrub brush is actually the best. Soaps / cleaners leave a residue, no matter how much you rinse, and will just attract further dirt. I spot clean bad areas with a product called "Tuff Stuff" that I get from AutoZone - red and yellow can. But I try to keep that to a minimum, and rinse extremely well. Use a stiff bristle brush to raise the knap back up.

All the best,

Glenn

I use any of the foaming carpet cleaners. Key is to make sure that you scrub it liberally with a wet scrub brush so that the foaming cleanser is somewhat diluted. Then before it dries I use my shop vac to get a first vacuuming while damp. When dry, I vacuum it again. My neighbor rinses his Triton carpet with a garden hose, but that's too much water for my taste.

Nothing in this post should be interpreted to mean that my way is the only way or the best way; nor should it be interpreted as criticism of any other method.

I use my steam cleaner with a Brush. I use a Deep cleaning soap and Oxi wash. I dont put much soap in the res. I spot clean any Bad spots with a Oxi wash spray and just rub with a brush then I just go over the carpets with the Steam cleaner. Then, I get the Shop Vac out to take care of any extra moisture that may be in the carpet that the Steam cleaner wont get out. My carpet is 10 years old and still looks great. I will usually get a can of Stain Guard if I do a Deep Cleaning and give the Deck a good spray. I have never had a prob with removing any big stains after doing so.

Max <><

From BASSCAT7 on the BBC boards:

Do not use any soap to soap up the carpet , you'll have a hard time rinsing all the soap out and what is left will attract dirt faster.

Soaps will do more long term damage to boat carpet than almost anything else.......because most soaps are a waxy solid or liquid made from sodium hydroxide mixed with fats, and most detergent soaps are petroleum based.........they will leave a surfactant residue sticking to the nylon /olefin carpet fibers....these surfactants will attract dirt faster to the fibers, almost like a sticky surface. Grinding the dirt into carpet is what wears out the fibers , leaving bare spots.

Don't use any type of pressure washer, even the ones at the car wash have enough force to lift up some worn carpet off the deck

Hose the carpet down real good then scrub it with a stiff bristle brush to loosen up the dirt.

Saturate the carpet real good, take the nozzle off your hose and let the water flow on it.

Make a mixture of 1 pint of plain white vinegar to 7 pints of water. Use a garden sprayer or spray bottle to saturate the carpet.

Scrub it with the brush again, the vinegar will loosen up the rest of the dirt and residue in the carpet. Turn the hose on and rinse real good while scrubbing.

Use a shop Vac to suck up the water or let air dry. Fluff the carpet up with a brush and it will look like it's new again.

If you have some real bad stains or worn spots, Resolve carpet cleaner is great for cleaning up spot stains or real dirty areas. You can get it at any grocery store.

I had a rider get in my boat last year with some tar residue on his shoe, spot about the size of a quarter, my back deck was covered with these spots, must have been 100 of 'em.

took some scrubbing with a small brush and the resolve , but the light gray carpet came up looking new....good stuff to keep in your boat cleaning supplies.
http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=260640

I have a large spot on my rear deck due to someone leaving lower unit oil, in a bag but with a loose top that got knocked over. Before I discovered it, quite a bit had spilled onto the deck of my boat. I've tried everything I can think of but it keeps coming back.:angry: Does anyone have any idea about oil in carpet and how to clean it?

Uncle Billy

Tom,

That's done behind the truck on the way home!!:lol::lol:

Unk...The last year I pulled my rig to Michigan, I was so excited after we filled up at o'dark thirty, I forgot to put my oil cap back on:eek: Didn't notice till after the first run...so I have a pretty good sized "spot". I too have tried everything to get it off. Nothing to date has worked. Read a thread somewhere that said to use the same stuff you use to clean your hands with (in the squirt bottle or creme) to get oil and such off. I did it and will let you know if it worked as soon as my carpet dries out.

TOXIC

I use hand cleaner on my jeans and stuff if I get oil or grease on them while working on a car or the boat. Another great solvent is WD-40. Use the WD to get the bad stuff out, then a regular cleaner to get the WD out.

Gene

I used Meguaires carpet cleaner and on a really bad oil stain and it took three or four treatments but it came clean and has stayed clean. You spray it on and it foams up. Then you blot it up. I had to let it sit and work for awhile each time but after getting that stain out I'm sold.

Hey Uncle Billy

To get out oil and grease stains from the carpet, use some waterless hand cleaner, the kind without the pumice. Smear some on the spot, use a small brush then use a wet towel to dab it all up...........:rolleyes:

Great ideas guys and thanks a lot...I haven't tried, and it's probably the only thing I haven't, any of the hand cleaners with pumice or WD-40. Using WD-40 just seems to be putting more oil on the stain.:D I know it works for other things like that but it's hard to get it through my head.. MOBass, I have tried the Meguaires carpet and spot cleaner. It looked like it cleaned it but when it all dried it just came back. Now, the Meguaires was about old so that could explain some of it not working. I have a lot of other stuff to try now. Thanks Again and don't forget to let me know Tox..

Uncle Billy

I know what you mean. My daughter got gum on a cloth seat in our new car once. I tried most everything I'd ever heard to get it out with no luck. I called a full service car wash for ideas and the guy said use WD-40 then a cleaner to get out the WD. I took the car to him and said you do it, that way if the seat gets ruined you can replace it. It came out great. :)

Gene

Thanks for all of the help. Definately got my question answered as usual.

TNBass

Thanks for all of the help. Definately got my question answered as usual.

TNBass

Whatever you do TNBass, let us know what happens, good or bad, alright?? That will be a big help..

Uncle Billy

I USE MY PRESSURE WASHER BUT ONLY ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR FOR ENTIRE CARPET. WHEN I GET A SMALL STAIN/SPILL I USE A STIFF BRUSH WITH MILD SOAP AND RINSE WITH HOSE. KENNY

Latest posts

Back