Cleaning Aluminum

• Thread starter William H. (Bill) Barham
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William H. (Bill) Barham

Reaction score
I just bought a used (1996) Tracker Pro Team 17 in great shape. I downsized from a bigger glass boat.

The boat is in excellent condition except for a water stain bath-tub ring all the way around it.

I have been told NOT to use anything like a Brillo pad because it can scratch. I have tried "409", Simple Green, and a hull cleaner called Star Brite, all to know avail.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks Much, Bill

I heard muriatic (sic) acid makes them clean. When I was in tin I just accepted the "bathtub ring". Just couldn't keep up with trying to keep it shiny.

Now I have a GLASS boat its soothing and pleasureable to softly rub the gelcoat and watch the sparkles glitter and shine in the sunlight like diamonds.

fatrap

your marine dealer will have some alum. cleaner. it basically is muratic acid like fatrap said. all you have to do is spray it on and let it sit for a few and hose it off. it will remove the ring, but the next time it is in the water, the ring will be back. i cleaned my old pt185 one time and never spent the $15 bucks for the cleaner again. just wasn't worth it.

one more thing...if you do decide to use the acid cleaner. make sure you take off all jewlry and be careful not to let the spray get on the trailer or any other painted surface. it will ruin them! and the overspray will kill any plants or grass that it touches.

imo....not worth the time or money.

bryan

I recommend beer. If you drink a few beers then you won't care about the ring. See Rob's post above. LOL

Really like NC said, I worked until my arm was about to fall off and the next time or two at the lake the ring was back. I used some aluminum polish I bought at the boat show (if you're interested let me know and I'll go out in the garage and find the bottle and send you the address). It looked 85% new when I finished but not for long. Try beer.

Harpo

TEE will chime in, he did the polish thing then covered with a product called "Sharkhide" and his tin is still shined up as far as I know.

TOXIC

Sorry guys..gettin' real busy around here in the Finance office. Typical guvment workers waitin' til year end to scrub the books! I have a motto that starts in September..."Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on Mine"! Had to vent...

O.K...use the acid sparingly to remove the oxidation. Spray it off quickly and don't do too large an area so you won't accidently leave it on too long because it is caustic and corrosive. Get some 3M polish(or similar BPS metal polish) and get those arms ready because it's takes alot of muscle and time. Then after polishing I treated mine with Sharkhide

which is a protective coating that keeps that aluminum lookin' shiny. If you really want to tackle it I can give more details in full. Do you plan on keepin' it?

TEE

Here's a pic of what it can look like after.....
side view.jpg

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I truly appreciate it. Your boat looks great TEE but seems like an awful lot of work:) I think I'm going to take the "beer" suggestion and not worry about it.

Today I tried some West Marine aluminum cleaner. You just wipe it on, being careful not to get any on your galvanized trailer, let it sit and hose it off. After a couple of applications "I think" I can see a difference. I will keep at it.

I'm glad I found this place.

Bill

Bill, save your money on all that other stuff.Buy a box of SOS pads,they aren't as abrasive as Brillow.Use LOTS of water and scrub in a back and forth motion.(not circles)

You will feel it getting smoother and smoother.The more you scrub the shinier it will get.It is alot of work,but my 1991 pro 17 looks like it is made of chrome.

I tried every product I could find and this works better than any.

Save your money,pick a little section and try it.Let me know what you think.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

After trying Star Bright at least a dozen times, I quit.

I turned my thoughts to either living with that bath tub ring or trying something like a steel wool pad. Now I will try the SOS pads, per your recommendation, this week-end and I will be very careful. I'll let you know how it turnes out.

Thanks Again, Bill

Back