CLEAN CARPET

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Gersh

Reaction score
Has anyone used a steam cleaner on their boat carpet. I wasnt sure if it would effect the glue or not. Any really good methods out there besides using a pressure washer and getting the entire boat soaked down. I want to try and avoid that.

I spray the carpet with foam carpet cleaner. I scrub it with a wet scrub brush. I let it dry then vacuum. If I've been a little too liberal with the "wet" in wet scrub brush, I use my wet vacuum.

This is a copy of a post made by BASSCAT7 over on the BBC boards:

Do not use any soap to soap up the carpet , you'll have a hard time rinsing all the soap out and what is left will attract dirt faster.

Soaps will do more long term damage to boat carpet than almost anything else.......because most soaps are a waxy solid or liquid made from sodium hydroxide mixed with fats, and most detergent soaps are petroleum based.........they will leave a surfactant residue sticking to the nylon /olefin carpet fibers....these surfactants will attract dirt faster to the fibers, almost like a sticky surface. Grinding the dirt into carpet is what wears out the fibers , leaving bare spots.

Don't use any type of pressure washer, even the ones at the car wash have enough force to lift up some worn carpet off the deck

Hose the carpet down real good then scrub it with a stiff bristle brush to loosen up the dirt.

Saturate the carpet real good, take the nozzle off your hose and let the water flow on it.

Make a mixture of 1 pint of plain white vinegar to 7 pints of water. Use a garden sprayer or spray bottle to saturate the carpet.

Scrub it with the brush again, the vinegar will loosen up the rest of the dirt and residue in the carpet. Turn the hose on and rinse real good while scrubbing.

Use a shop Vac to suck up the water or let air dry. Fluff the carpet up with a brush and it will look like it's new again.

If you have some real bad stains or worn spots, Resolve carpet cleaner is great for cleaning up spot stains or real dirty areas. You can get it at any grocery store.

I had a rider get in my boat last year with some tar residue on his shoe, spot about the size of a quarter, my back deck was covered with these spots, must have been 100 of 'em.

took some scrubbing with a small brush and the resolve , but the light gray carpet came up looking new....good stuff to keep in your boat cleaning supplies.

I had a rider get in my boat last year with some tar residue on his shoe, spot about the size of a quarter, my back deck was covered with these spots, must have been 100 of 'em.

Scott did you find a good place to dump the body?:lol:

fatrap

It wasn't my boat. I just copied that post from a similar topic over on BBC. If it was my boat, it would have been cleaned before the rider had a chance to leave. I had a guy drop a cigarette butt in my old Stratos and burned a small hole in the carpet. He thought it was funny that I got as mad as I did. He never got asked to go back fishing with me again. He saw me a few months later and asked why I hadn't called him to go fishing with me. I asked him if he had fixed the hole in my carpet yet and that he wouldn't be back on my boat UNTIL the hole was fixed.

I vaccum mine with my shopvac after every outing, if any spots are in the carpet I use a cleaner called FOLEX. I swear that stuff works miracles...better than anything I have ever tried. You can get it at walmart or HomeDepot.. White spray bottle with purple writing..

I had mine cleaned by a company professional steam cleaner last fall. I think it pretty good. Chris F.

I like the vinegar idea. I need to give my carpet a good cleaning and was looking at options and this sounds pretty simple and doesn't involve nasty chemicals. Thanks for the good info.

Latest posts

Back