Circle Hooks.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Foster2

Reaction score
I had been gut hooking quite a few fish while fishing senko's. Then I was told to try the circle hooks. So I'm using the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle. I was told that it is a different hook set that normal, that I should use more of a sweeping pull of the rod to the side. However, It seems like I'm missing more fish. Anyone else have the simular problem? Maybe I should just go back to my EWG hooks. Any thoughts?

Circles are supposed to be NO hookset. Simply start reeling in. I'm not a circle hook fan because I miss more fish with than without them. I have yet to gut hook a bass, so I'm lucky there.

Me too Mike..haven't had much luck with them but, catfishermen and such swear by them.

TEE

I've had great success for Catfish and Stripers with live bait, they do hook themselves right in the lips. But never tried them for plastics.

John, I use circle hooks on my dropshot and have had good success. The hook will almost always hook them right in the upper lip. Just start reeling and gently sweep the rod and they should stay buttoned. I've only used the hooks on a 4 inch finesse worm not a senko. I would definitely leave the hook exposed and not bury it in the plastic.

I use a very slow action rod (like a buggy whip) with a 2/0 light wire Mustad circle hook for my Senko type baits. You can rig it in the head like a T-rig or Wacky-rigged and it is amazingly weed/snag free. (It will also skip like a dream!) When I get a pickup, I reel as fast as I can while slowly sweeping across with the rod tip. Haven't gut-hooked one yet.

Back