Circle hooks on artificials

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Shenton

Reaction score
So, this weekend's bluefish blitz was my first experience with circle hooks. I caught a couple on cut finger mullet, strung on a 8/0 circle hook. I learned two things.

One, I a really bored with fishing with bait. Artificials only for now on. There's little or no skill invoved with bait. I feel much more gratification when I use an artificial.

And secondly, 99.9% of the time I am catch and release. THESE CIRCLE HOOKS ROCK! The fish always is hooked right in the corner and is minimaly stressed.

So, is there any aplication for circle hooks on artificial baits? I thought I might try to replace the trebles on my crank baits with circle hooks? (salt only, since bass don't seem to gut hook much anyway)

Has anyone tried this? Sucess?

As I understand it (there may be a gap here . . .)

With Circle hooks, you simply reel in the line and the hook impales in the corner of the mouth. Simple scenario. Drop shot hooks are designed primarily like circle hooks (may be the same). When using a dropshot with artificals, simply reel in.

Now, the problem that you will find on other artificals (soft plastics) has several diffrerent facets. One is that most of the time soft plastics are fished weedless (not always - but mostly). Not a good situation for circle hooks.

Secondly, with most soft plastics you set the hook both driving it through the bait and into the mouth of the prey. Generally speaking, if you attempt to 'set the hook' with a circle hook, the hook design is not such that it will generally work.

I have no real idea whether or not a circle will work in place of a treble, but I suspect that isn't going to result in many hookups.

Interesting thoughts and questions.

Tex

Circle hooks work for livebait but, not much else. Ever wonder why trebles on cranks and topwaters are actually pointing outward somewhat ?

And the best out there IMHO (Triplegrip) have a really knarily lookin' hook that not only points outward but, is aslo bent at an angle.

Circles were designed as to not damage prize game fish and prevent them swallowing the bait:blink:

"Barbless" fishing is quite common with trout..... Takes a bit more patience and skill to land a fish that way - neither of which can I claim to have - but far less damage is done to the fish.

Can you imagine a bass tournament angler actually taking the time to play a fish when there is thousands of dollars on the line? Or taking the chance that the hook might just slip out? And of course, since we all have to emulate the tournament anglers, we'd never do that either.....

me!

P.S.

I love to play fish..... as few as I catch, I'm gonna milk every moment! :)

Right On Stac:p

I like the idea that Ray Scott wants to get a tourny together and fish nothing but 4 lb. test on HIS lake....now that'll be interseting:lol:

Two years ago the wife and I took a smallmouth trip on the New River in W. VA. All hooks were barbless. Landed 28 river smallies in 8.5 hours. Probably lost 2-3 fish overall.

Tex

Until I started tournament fishing I made all my hooks barbless, it make letting the fish go so much easier. I still have some and use them when I am fishing for fun, I just have to remember to change back before the next tourney.

BF

Back