chrome wheels

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Duggan

Reaction score
has anybody had a problem withthe chrome wheels on there trailers rusting and pitting ?

mine have been rusting since i picked up the boat in aPRIL 2003. I have used scitch brite and steel wool to remove the rust and put a heavy coating of chrome polish/wax on them and they still seem to rust up. after this winter they are a mess. i founa product in boat us called T9 and Rust off.

has anybody used these?

what have you guys done or does anybody have a recomendation for getting rid of the rust onca and for all.

Thanks guys

GregD

Luckly for me mine arent rusting, my tralier is a 2000 year. I keep them waxed constantly and i alsp spray them with wd40 when i put the boat away for the winter. When mine do rust i plan to replace then with some aluminum wheels.

Any chrome is gonna rust if you leave it outside all the time. Now we are not talking factory bumpers or anything here...bceause most bumpers get duble and triple plated. Those wheels on those trailers are single coated and not very good at that. Don't use steel wool or anything abrasive. I would suggest chrome cleaner only and maybe switchin' em' out just for winter if it's left outside. No prob's with mine but, it's garaged too...

TEE

Tee i store mine outside on the lawn of all places year round. Why mine havdent rusted yet is beyond be but they havent.

Gregd - Was that boat new in 2003? If so, bring it back to the dealer and show him what has happened and ask for help. If the Dealer is a good one, he might either swap out yours and get a new set for a future boat from Tracker or at least help you with Tracker under warranty.

Mine are 4+ years old and are just fine, just cleaned them for the first time before the Rally this month.

But I do garage it.

If all else fails, go get a can of Eagle 1 "Never Dull" wheel cleaner and be amazed!! It will remove all the rust and so on but if it is pitted, nothing is going to take that out. Just wax them after the eagle 1. The secret is to get every last spec of rust off, or it will just rust again, even if waxed.

TOXIC

I think you'll also find that your lug bolts aren't stainless and may be part of the cause of the rust you're seeing (rust stains). You might also try to see if you can remove the lugs. Mine were rusted in place. I twisted one off and decided maybe I should toss some rust eater (wd-40 type stuff) on it first. Let that soak for 15 mins and didn't break another one off. Danged flat tires..

Mine has a few spots where the chrome plating was not done very well but, not rusting yet. Now the 01' they tried to stick me with had been setting out on their lot all year that were rusted with pits even. I thought that was bad... until I crawled under the trailer..NO WAY was I gonna' except it! And of course I didn't:)

That should be covered....I'd take it back to the dealer and have them order another set. Don't accept anything less...

TEE

i am thinking of aluminum wheels, but right now i don't want to spend the money on them.

i will try the T9 and let you all know if it works.

looks like pretty good stuff. check out the link.

my dealer is great, i will give them a call and see what they say.
http://www.boeshield.com/default.htm

Clean them up with the never dull, wipe them done with prep sol then shoot them with clear coat. then wax..

BF

Back