Champlain Recap

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Kurtzner

Reaction score
Well I went up to Champlain thursday to practice for saturday's 2 day BFL tournament. Thursday I was greeted with SW winds 15 to 25 went to my favorite fall spot got 5 fish in 20 minutes just random casting a spinnerbait, its a big area had around 12 lbs. Tried a few more spots got a couple more on the spinnerbait but I was disapointed that I couldn't get a flippin bite going but with the wind like it was & my past experience's on the lake I just was searching for productive area's. Friday was a whole different weather pattern cloudy w/light rain & 1st thing a SW wind 5 to 10. I went to an area I found fishing last fall that produced a bunch of good fish, I fished it hard for 1 1/2 hours with nothing. At this time the wind stopped the forecast for the day was a NW wind at 5 to 15. About 9:00 I went to an area that I fished in June & it had a good weed bed off the bank in 7 to 8 ft of water. Around 9:30 the NW wind just started to pick up & so did the fish by 10:30 I had 5 around 13 lbs but the wind was blowing 15 to 25 from the NW & white caps crashing on my area so I went & checked some more spots with nothing, got off the water at 12:30. I figured no sense getting pounded plus the forecast for saturday called for NE winds light & variable & a 20 degree drop in the tempature. With the High pressure system coming in & the light wind predicited I figured I would be ok, I had a couple of productive area's & I could really slow down & pick it apart. Saturday morning the wind was light around 2 mph from the NE, I was boat #19 so 3 miles up the lake to my spot but the wind was increasing. By 8:30 I had a limit weighing 9 1/2 lbs & my Co-angler had his weighing 7 1/2 lbs & the wind was now blowing 10 to 20 from the NE, of course the weather men were wrong again. I figured over the next 6 hours I would up grade my catch, but this was it. I was very disapointed that I couldn't get anything else going, afterwards I should have gone back to my morning spot & really fished it a lot harder, around 12:00 the wind did start to calm down to 7 to 15 from the NE. This was one of my worst days on Champlain, I guess I died with the spinnerbait, in the past I've caught so many big fish fishing this way, I quess I let the wind get to me & I figured with the turned up water surface they would be chasing. Oh well another lesson learned fish the fish not the conditions. All 3 days was a totally different weather condition & I probably over thought things.

Mark

I was up there also. My travel bud made it to the second day. He fished up by Plattsburg. He crushed them up threre and said it and said it was almost flat coming back to Ti. He had unfortunte luck on day 2. He ran back uo there and over 20lbs but could get back. I had to run up and get him at the Peru launch. It was nasty up there. For myself i just missed getting a check. Got porked my boater but what else is new. I'll be a boater for sure next year. Good luck at the Regionals

Back