Champion Boats

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack K

Reaction score
Does anyone have experiences with Champion boats? I

Jack

My last boat was a Champion. They are indeed a very good boat. They are built well and have one of the if not the best rough water ride you can get in a bass boat. The handling is also top knotch, no sliding in the corners at all, they are also pretty dry from a spash standpoint in rough water. They arent the fastest boats on the water but the ride is a worthy trade off. I had a 16' one and the only real knock i had on it was the lack of dry storage. The storage on the rear deck of the older modelsis really spall and is called wet storage and the older ones are a little tippy when fishing but you will get used to it. If you buy iy it wont dissapoint. they are truly great boats.

Champion is probably the best ridin' bass boat I've been in. The new models are all-composite, including transom. I think the older ones had wood in the transom so make sure its still solid. Champion will be near the top of my list next time around.

Top notch boat right up there with the top of the line Rangers. The Champions usually hold a pretty good resale price. One of my fishing buddies has one thats almost twenty years old. The boats still in pretty good shape.

Mercury XR6 Engine is a tried and true motor that has been around for years.

Excellent ride!!! I had a '96 202 with a 200EFI,....ran like a scalded dog and was absolutely THEE best ride in rough water that I've ever been in.....i sold it to a buddy of mine when I joined the Nitro State Team in 98. That boat today,..looks as good as the day I sold it and it still does not have a single stress crack in it anywhere from bow to transom.....they are an excellent boat!! And as the 'Fool said,...they hold their resale value very well...Champs are a good bet!!

Mac

It would be nice if NITRO got this type of response. Champion went bankrupt and got bought by Genmar and they still have a good reputation.

TOXIC

Tox...Nitro/Tracker has pretty good quality..it's just gettin' em to back up their product. And that just don't happen enough...Johnny M is too interested in makin' a buck and stabbin' American companies in the back! Oooooooohh...did I really say that?

TEE

Now THAT's good news!! And yeah I think I did hear that but it slipped off my radar screen. Something to keep in mind.

TOXIC

Interesting Pat, I had not heard that. Didn't Genmar move Champion production to another facility. And if so, did Nitro pick up their old facility, or hire the folks from there?

Thanks for all the responses!

It's a 97 by the way.

All I know about Champions is there is a guy who is in the fiberglass hull repair business that fishes at the lake I fish alot and he runs a Champion. I don't know if that's a testimonial or not but I hardly ever seem mechinics driving lemons.

Very interesting about the changes in Nitros manufacturing facilities. When the day comes to move into a glass boat, I'll sure feel better about looking at Nitro.

Harpo

Only ever rode in one and the lake was calm. But everyone I've talked to, and especially owners say they are the best rough water ride bar none. I've looked at a couple up close at some tourneys and the fit and finish is right up there with Rangers. Don't know about speed, I think they tend to be heavier like a Ranger so might not be the fastest rig, but really how often can you or do you need to go over 60 mph? I would rather have a boat with a top speed of only say 68-69 mph but that can still run comfortably at 50 mph in serious chop than a boat that can do 75 but only on calm days and has to drop down to 35 in rough chop to keep from breaking itself or the riders. Hope that made sense. So if it's a good deal, snatch it.

Back