Catching Bass like on TV

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Feist

Reaction score
Greetings All,

I still read the forum about every day enjoying everyone's messages and I have a question for all of you. Next year, my son is going to be a senior in high school. I have had him fishing with me since he was old enough to put a rod in his hands. For the last few years, we have fished together in club tournaments, both of us winnning either a lunker or a 2nd or 3rd place ( in our club that $5 and $10 resepectively) a few times but most of all just enjoying fishing and the time together. We aren't the greatest/professional anglers but we do get lucky every once in awhile and we do have fun. When my son was little, he always used to say "we need to go somewhere and catch fish like they do on TV". I had explained to him that those people fish for hours/days and they edit a lot of the footage. Having been on the lake for hours numerous times without as much as a bite, he began to understand that. Well, he will be off to college in another year and I am sure that he will not be available to fish and hunt as much at least for a few years. So, here is my question. I would like to take him somewhere where we can catch a boat load of fish as a graduation present NEXT YEAR. Economicly, I don't have the funds to take him to Mexico for Peacock bass or anything like that but is there an economical place that anyone knows of within about a days drive of PA where I have a chance of this happening? I am asking now because I know that places book up and this way, I'll at least have a year to plan and put extra cash away.

Brian

Being in PA you are close to alot of great fishing. Consider Oneida Lake, NY for smallies or the Potomac River for largemouth. I'd say best time for the Potomace would be late April, May or early June. I went to Oneida last year in early September and caught them great for an entire week.

Good Luck,

HP

Brian, I second Oneida Lake. Also consider Cayuga Lake also in New York near Ithaca. If you need any information on either one get in touch with me and I will give you whatever I know about these two. {Lodging, camping, fishing areas etc.} Also can't go wrong with the Potomac. Some of your decision might be based on what size/type boat you wil be using.

Beck

Brian, Oneida and Cayuga are excellant choices I fish several tournaments there yearly and catch nice fish all the time. Another spot to consider is the St. Lawerance River, anywhere from Cape Vincent, Ny to Massena, Ny. There is great smallmouth fishing as well as largemouth. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these choices!

Brian hook up Mac, Mini or any of the Detroit Maffia and they can hook you up on St. Clair. Beliee me nothing like your arms getting tired of hauling in all those small mouths. Unbelievable at times and there are even the occasional 40+ inch muskie to boot.

Jut an idea!

Randy

I know it would be a long trip but there is a private fishing resort down here in Alabama called Dream Lake Lodge. They have the boats (20 ft Stratos), a really nice lodge, and the fishing is excellent. They even have tackle if you don't want to bring your own. It is about a two hour drive from Birmingham. You could fly in and rent a car for the drive. We fished for 1 day and caught 75 bass with an average weight of about 3 pounds. This was the best day of fishing that I have ever had, and for a fraction of the cost of Mexico.

http://www.dreamlakelodge.com/

http://www.dreamlakelodge.com/

I would also recommend Lake St Clair. 100 fish days are common in the spring....

May thru opening day in June are outstanding times but all catch and release.

Let me know if you want more info.

You do live pretty close to Erie....your end of Erie is on fire right now (well it WILL be IF it warms up...lol)

I would bet that Lake Ontario can be the same way.

You can always hire a guide for the first day or two, then use your own boat and your newly aquired knowledge to fisnd fish.

Any of the lakes in New York are great places to visit. I would suggest Lake Champlain. It is the one of the few places you can fish any way you like. Southern end has some color to the water which makes for some great largemouth and the occasional smallie. The Northern end is clear water and rocky. Still great largemouth, but the smallies rule up in the north.

If you want to make a great vacation out of the trip. I would say the 1000 Islands region of the Saint Lawrence River is the most beautiful place you can go. The fishing is off the hook as well. Just a little harder to catch them there. Once you find them, you can catch a boat load. Hundred fish days here are pretty easy to accomplish.
http://ct-outdoors.com

Anyone notice the common denomenator here?????

SMALLMOUTH in the NORTH! lol

Just razzing ya, but once you experience it you can get a better understanding why I still live up here.

Not economical or nearby, but fishing Lake Buena Vista at Disney World is "catching fish like they do on TV."

I swear the bass in that lake are paid Disney cast members.

Back