Carpet

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Moore

Reaction score
In the past, a lot of questions have come up about carpet coming loose from the deck. Now I'm about as anal as anyone about the appearance of my boat, and this weekend I noticed that mine is loose up on the front deck. MAJOR CRISIS! LOL

I don't know how many of you have attempted to repair this problem, but the right way is also the most difficult and expensive (REMOVING AND RECARPETING THE DECK).

Try what I did first: Go to a Co-op, Tractor supply, farm supply, etc and buy one of the large syringes and needles for injecting cattle and horses. Buy a small bottle of "Gorilla Glue" or similar, and fill the syringe. Now you can angle the syringe through the carpet and then swing it aroung to get the best coverage while forcing the glue out the needle. Have to throw the syringe and needle away after one use, but it's a great alternative to replacing carpet.

Hope this helps.

Bruce M

Yeah I need to do my carpet in a few spots on my 02' 185:(

I have the opposite problem on my NX750, my carpet is flat, any way to fluff it up again. The rear deck and under the console looks great, but the floor and front deck is flat.

thoughts....

Brian, either scrub it with a brush when wet or use a carpet shampooer on it. Works for me. I also sometimes c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y use a power washer.

TOXIC

You can fluff it a little with a power wash and brush but, if you use it like me...it'll be flat again in no time:)

I've read to use a (gasp) wire brush.

Let's look at WHY it's matted. Do you "wash" your carpet with soap (like at the car wash)? Let's examine how the boat is made. You have a solid, watertight base (floor), and you've glued padded carpet to it. There is no drainage. Unless you suck the water out, everything that goes in, stays in. The water just evaporates. So, first step is to only treat actual stains with soap. Hose her out good. In my opinion (layman's), a power washer like at the car wash is fine, just don't jam the nozzle up close to the carpet. Let the boat drain well, leave out in the sun, then go buy a "I left my boat out in the sun and now it's sun damaged" kit. After you get that applied, go wash it again :).

Boat carpet fiber (the colored fluffy part) is made from extruded polypropolene. Carpet in your house if it is of any quality at all is made from Nylon. Nylon is resiliant, meaning it has a memory and will stand back up after it is bent. (Think 50 # Berkley Big Game on a spinning reel.) Problem with Nylon is that it is porus and must be treated with something like Stain Resister or Scotchguard to be stain resistant. That wears off in time and that is when the carpet starts looking like poopoo and you follow your wife down to the Carpet One.

Back to boat carpet. Polypropolene has no memory (Think Berkley Trilene XL) at all so it looks pretty when it new but as soon as you walk around on it, especially in the hot sun, it flattens out. You can steam it or wet it and fluff it up......BUT as soon as you walk on it guess what....it's flatter than yesterdays beer. THE GOOD NEWS is that it is non-porus so things like coffee, blood, snuff spit, Spike-it, and Vieina Sausage juice will come right out. The color is extruded right in to the fiber so you can get pretty aggressive about cleaning it. Same kind of stuff that kitchen carpet, commercial carpet in schools and offices and malls are made out of. Only problem is...it will never stand up pretty again....for long.

If you want it to look pretty forever you might want to consider something in a ceramic tile. ;>))

Harpo

Back