Can my Batteries Freeze

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
I think I answered my own question, but I will as anyway, my boat is in my Garage, attached but not heated. I never took the batts out, will they freeze or get damaged in this freakin tundra were having?

I think NO, since nothing has ever happened to my Tractor Battery or jon boat battery in years past, but there not sitting in a brand new boat either.

Sorry for so many battery questions, I sound like a broken record LOL

What do you think, could they freeze and or burst in my batt compartment and leak acid inside my bildge?

Batteries can freeze if the charge gets low on them. I leave mine sitting in the boat plugged into my Guest charger 24/7. That way I know they've always got sufficient charge. -15 below last night and they didn't bother.

I charge my Delcos once a month for 24 hours..You can't let them get low on charge....Jr

Okay, my TM batt is always plugged in, the Cranking is not, I will charge tonight for a bit.

Man, I want an early spring.

Cranking battery was fully charged, checked the volt meter on the lowrance, then hooked up the charger for #$%^'s and giggles and it was fully charged, cool I guess your saying as long as there charged they can't freeze.

I charged my batteries then pulled them out of the boat and put them in the garage (wish I could get the boat in there). The batteries are settin' on wood, but it still gets cold in the garage. Anyone know if I should still check them? Thanks for bringing this topic up :)

WW,

They need to be charged as they wood can help discharge them. A tricle charger will be good i think.

I agree with you on the garage thing, I wish I could get my boat in there....

Carlos

Well, I can say unequivicablly _ABSOLUTELY_ they can freeze!

Was thinking about making a run tomorrrow, decided to check the battery, and it's a solid brick.

Funny thing is:

It's only 3-4 weeks old.

Fully Charged as of last trip (2 weekends ago, this being the 2nd).

And to the best of my knowledge, nothing was left on.

It, however, was not on a charger. (got to remedy that soon).

Now, the real question is:

What now?

Once thawed, is it usable? (it's now inside in the "cold but not as cold as the boat is being outside" garage).

Or should I Count it as a loss and move on?

Sim,

Did it crack the case? Can you throw a multimeter on it to see if it held the voltage? I am kinda courious.

Carlos

I didn't see any cracks, but I havent inspected it too close...

Right now it's "dead as a doorstop". I didnt put a multimeter on it tho.

Back