Camper Advice

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Feist

Reaction score
Since there is such a great wealth of outdoor information here, I'll ask for some help...

I just sold my pop up camper and have decided to buy a larger camper. I looking for a 24'-27' with bunks and a queen bed.

Does anyone have a history/knowledge of the bunks in these trailers? Most of them have a 150# weight capacity. Can I exceed this without a collapse problem?

I have a F-150 extended cab with a 4.9 litre six cylinder. Can I tow over 5000# ?

Any info that you can pass along on the trailer subject would be appreciated. I really hope to go to the Eastern RV show in Harrisburg in September and buy one off the floor. Besides, Tracker got out of the RV business.

Brian,

Where did you get the info about the 150# rated bunks? I have a 1977 Prowler and I sleep on the top bunk all of the time and I weigh 200lbs. As far as towing, you need to get the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) and the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) for your truck. The GVWR is usually on a door jamb sticker or in the glove box. The GCWR may be listed in your owners manual.

GCWR = Weight of truck + weight of trailer.

GVWR = Maximum rating for weight of truck + cargo and passengers.

The more weight that you put in the truck (passengers, gear, firewood, etc..), the less you can safely tow. A 27' trailer may be quite a handful for your truck. Make sure you have a distribution hitch. It may be a good time to upgrade your tow vehicle!

Bob G.

Bob,

I have seen the 150# sticker on the bunks themselves on many campers. I guess it depends on how well they are attached to the walls or supported.

The trailers that I have been looking at are the lite weight ones. I figure that the most that I will be towing is 5000#.

Do your homework, Do your homework, Do your homework.

I purchased a 30' fifthwheel about six months ago. It has the bunk room in the back and the bottom bunk is actually flush with the floor. No weight problems there.

Whatever you do, take your time and research all aspects of buying and towing a camper. It took me a year to finally take the plunge but it was worth my time. I have a good settup and did not have to go out and buy a "monster truck" to pull it. Do not rely on the camper salesman to tell you what you can and can't handle with your tow vehicle. Even if he is knowledgable he may not be completly honest with you. Once you sign the papers, whether or not you can pull it is your problem not theirs. Talk to mechanics, read up on the internet. You will save yourself a lot of frustration and money in the long run. Consider the terain that you will be towing through. ie..hills, snow, heat, cold...

After all of my DD, I ended up changing the rear axle gear ratio in my truck just prior to purchasing my camper. Everything worked out great.

Latest posts

Back