Calling out all the Mercury Outboard Experts!!! Need some help (part 2)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm coming back here because I honestly got great help here... but I dont know what else to do with my boat.. I have done everything, but light up a match and burn it ( I tried, but ran out of gas,, so it didn't burn all the way).. JUST KIDDING!!!! I love my boat.

Here is the situation.---

I have a 1996 Nitro 160 tf with a 75 hp Mercury. It starts like a champ, it takes off and lifts up nicely, I show 45 mpg on 5000 rpms on wot, but I can go for about a mile then my RPM's start slowing down to about 3000 or 2000 loosing speed also. I have been advise to check the fuel line, the fuel filter, and done it,,, but the problem is still there. I just went to the lake this morning, and noticed as the rpms were slowing down that the valve on the gas line was sucked up, flat with no gas or not passing any gas, as if the pick up line was clogged or something... so I took it back home, and checked the pick up line, didn't really find anything wrong with it. I even blew air with a compressor through the line to ensure it was clear.

Here is a summary of what I have done:

-replaced the fuel filter.

-replaced the fuel line.

-checked the pick up line.

-checked the carburators for any water in there.

So I'm coming back to you for your advise ;) just not sure what to do next.

Love my boat and I'm only a few things away from having my perfect fishing boat.

Thank you for reading this and going over all this info.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Carlos.

You know Fatrap,, it's very interesting that mention the vent.

Because i did noticed that the vent line is a little twisted a little bit, but just wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it.//

Here is a picture of the vent.

What do you all think?

Air vent.jpg
Air vent.jpg

I believe Fatrap is correct. Check the line, and the vent cap on the side of the boat. Sometimes, someone screws it all the way down. They are supposed to stop before closing all the way. However i have the same boat, and it can be closed all the way. A mud diver also might build a nest in there. Take the vent line off at the tank and blow thru it, I believe you may find your problem.

Bubby:)

yup if the bulb is sucking down flat you're sucking a vacuum in the fuel system somewhere. If it was a hard vacuum it would starve the motor (NOT GOOD)..

I'd replace that vent hose and see.

Also check to make sure that hose is clear. wildlife gan get in there and plug it up for ya.

Thank you all so much.

I'm going to try it this out tomorrow.. it's kind of late now.

I'll do what you have advised me, then I'll take it to the lake again and see f that did it.

Please, please keep an eye for my follow up, ok? I will be back and let you know how it went.

Thank you all.

Carlos.:cool:

If your problem continues after running down your vent(s), you may wish to revisit your primer ball. I can't tell you how many new primer bulbs I've seen replaced because the check valves inside the ball are junk. (If accessible, you can remove the completely unnecessary back flow check valve and just retain the exiting, one-way purge valve in the ball.) I only use the natural rubber Merc brand primer bulbs any more for that reason. ;)

Back