Buzz Baits

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Kern

Reaction score
What kind of buzz baits are working the best for everyone? Any recommendations on size, brand and color?:unsure:

Dark colors at night. White or chartreus (sp) for me in the morning. Reel em in about as fast as you can and hold on when they hit it. Don't forget the trailer hook.

Bryan

I'm just the opposite from NCFishingNitro when it comes to buzzbaits. I fish them as SLOW as I can... painfully slow. I like Cavitron's, Chatter Buzz's, Boogerman Racket Buzz, and homemade models. For small lilly pads with a little space between them, you can't beat a Herbs Dilly buzzbait with the original Dilly blade (if you can find them... I have about 2 dozen.... I bought them "when I could"). For color, it doesn't matter what color it is.... as long as it's white! :D:D:D:D Oh, and I do agree with NCFishingNitro on the last part - trailer hook all the time.

All the best,

Glenn

Black or white double props usually as slow as possible. As long as the hook is sharp, brand doesn't matter. ;) That's if you want the hawgs. :)

I have had phenominal success this year using a small double buzzer that's made by a young man locally but, believe that BPS sells one just like it and it is the BOMB!

It's not for throwing long distances but, it will pull fish outta' cover when nothing else will AND it has caught me three smallmouth that I normally don't catch on topwater.

I also follow up on short strikers with a Zara Puppy...most use worms but, feel you just may need to slow down rather than go to a sinking bait. I've seen I don't know how many bass that will not spook off like most think. Of course, I'm outta' the box:wacko:

I'm with Triton G on this one, slow, and then a quick jerk and then speed up slow down, changin speeds works great, usually after you jerk it or speed up, right when you slow it back down is when they crush it:D

Buzzbait are my all time favorite. Even though I've got all brands and colors in my box I have a couple of favorites. My very favorite is a Hart double blade either in 1/4 oz or 3/8 oz. I can fish those double blade baits extremly slow. Belive it or not I also do real well with the el cheapo off the rack bulk buzzbaits. I always drill some holes in the blades and trim the skirt and I sometimes put a little dog leg kink in the wire so the head runs slightly deeper. I also like to hang them from the ring on the seat post for the trip to the lake to put a little squeek in the blade. I never use a trailer hook unless I'm getting a lot of short strikes but usually they hit it so hard that they nearlly rip the rod out of my hand.....or sometime they don't hit it at all and that's when you need to reassess the situation and maybe switch to a spinnerbait.

I don't think there's any one techinque for buzbaits that works everytime. Sometimes a slow retrive is the ticket and sometimes burning it across the surface will trigger more strikes. My favorite color is black but I've also caught some good fish on one of those $1.99 cheapies with a clacker and a white skirt that I dipped just the tips in red Spike-it. I can tell you one thing for sure.....probably 80 or 90% of the bass I've caught on buzbaits have been right after I crashed the bait into a tree stump. I always plan my cast to land 10 or 15 feet past a likely tree stump and then run it right up to it and hit it...then hang on. When they are hitting buzzbaits there's no better fun.

Harpo

I like bozz baits too. The one i like the most is the Fleck pro buzz. I like the 3 bladed design because i cna fish it really slow or really burn it if i want to. I only throw 3 colors, black, white, and chartruse( for smallies in clear water).

The best ones I have used are the one at the local tackle shop that are made there for 99Cents

Thanks everyone for their input. I have had my best results with a 1/4 ounce double bladed Hart buzz bait in black. I sometimes will use a 3/8 ounce and very seldom I will use 1/2 ounce.

Back