Buying a Tracker!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike slader

Reaction score
Hi guy's. I currenly have a deposit on a '08 PT175 with 50hp 2 stroke. They're having a fish expo at the boat dealer this Sat with Hank Parker and Roland Martin there and I'm putting the rest of the down payment down and signing the papers then.

I'm psyched since it'll be a huge upgrade from the canoe we've been fishing from.I'll be fishing very small waters with the biggest 350 acres I was wondering how well it handles 2 foot swells? With the transom that seems to sit low in the water; does water ever come in over the transom?

We sometimes get some 2 foot swells. Would the PT175 do alright in this water or should I look into the Pro guide series?

:)

I recently sold my '05 PT175 w/50hp 2 stroke.. It was a great rig and handled 2' chop fine. The only time I got water over the stern was if I tried to slow down/stop to quickly. You'll enjoy the boat, and from what I've seen in the catalogs, it seems they've really upgraded the seating and the storage setup from what came with my '05.

You should really insist that they upgrade the MotorGuide 46 lb thrust trolling motor to a 24v 71lb thrust model. I have an 05' and was misserable with the 46. Changed it a month ago and wished I had done it sooner.

Other than that, great boat, handles big water extremely well.

Good luck and welcome to the Tracker family!

Good point Joe, as I forgot about the 46# thrust MG. Not worth a dang in windy/strong current conditions.

mikeS, take Joe's advice and go for more thrust with the tm.

I have the 2004 PT175/50 Merc. 2 stroke and yes, it handles choppy water well. As the others recommended, go with the bigger troll motor as this is the only thing I dis-like about my boat. I actually bought my PT175 because it was a GODFATHER DEAL, one I couldn't refuse- I was looking at other boats but an so happy I bought this one since I love it ! Welcome to the group.......kenny

I've fished Tracker boats since 1993. Never had much problem with them. Follow the advice about the troller. I'm currently fishing Tracker's version of a fishing SUV. Tundra 18 w/150 optimax. Had a Nitro before. Good luck

fatrap

I was planning on upgrading the troller down the line but I'll look into upgrading now when I go Sat.How is the X37 fishfinder? I already told my GF who is my fishing partner that I wanted a bow mounted finder for X-mas this year,LOL.

I'm glad I found this site because after going on a few other bassboat site's that alot of people hate tracker and I was having second thoughts. But seeing ACCUAL Tracker owner happy with their boat was very releiving. I've been researcing for 6 months and it seems like the best deal.

Welcome, you are lucky you found us!! You will get the good the bad and the ugly here and that is just the members!!:lol::lol: Seriously any question you have will be answered honestly and truthfully. There's no bashing here of any boat brand and that makes it nice.

TOXIC

Congrats Mike, I owned a 2003 PT 175 SR with a 75 Merc. I did upgrade the TM to a 70lb MK and I was very happy with it. The PT 175 handles those 2' swells exceptionally well. You will be very happy with your Tracker. I've had two but I own a 591 Nitro now.

While your at it try and squeege a onboard charger out of them at least with a discounted price. That will come in sooooo handy.

fatrap

Mike - I had a 2000 PC 175 (same hull as the PT but in the crappie floorplan) with a 40 Merc, drove it from the day I bought it new till I sold it 2 years ago, no issues, rode great, a lot of folks who've ridden in older/flat bottom style aluminium boats were amazed at the ride in the rough stuff. Would have still kept her but a great deal on the owner of this sites 700lx came up and I love my new Nitro.

I had the standard 43lb trolling motor and never had much issue, even fishing a tourney on KY lake in the wind, but if you can upgrade now is easier, same with the onboard charger, if you don't get it as a package get one (only way to go is GUEST) and install it yourself.

Welcome!

Trep

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll definatly be looking into upgrading the troller. It comes with a 2 bank 4 amp charger.

How hard is it to convert it to 24v?

Now, I just got to get through tommorow and I'll heading down Sat. morning. Can't wait!!

:D

I go by a boat ramp on my way home from work and every day this week there has been at least 2 trucks and trailers there and today a tracker passed by heading to the ramp!!!

Its starting to get warm enough to start fishing up here in New England.

By the way, I'm getting it at Marine USA in Worcestor,Ma. I beleive there are other members on here that use them .

Mike, you shouldn't have to worry about the 24v wiring the dealer when they prep the boat and get it ready for you will hook up the TM.It should already be wired.They should put the extra battery in as well.Unless you are doing it yourself and if so everything should be there you just have to put the extra battery in.The Guest charger is a good one I would recommend it.

Just got back from the Marina. Alot of nice boats. But after looking at every boat we decided to go with the Pro Guide V16 with a 50hp 2 stroke.Since it is $1k cheaper than the PT175 I'm getting a Minn Kota Maxxum 80lb. 24v trolling motor , a Lowrance 522c igps sonar/gps chartplotter and they're getting back to me on a guest charger.

I went with the pro guide because I like the lower position you are in it , fits more people, and it'll be a little drier.It'll have a little less storage than the 175 but it has a bait well which is nice because we use shiners sometimes.

:D

Mike - were you looking at the one next to the TV-18 with one of the pro staff? I saw you if it was :)

Latest posts

Back