Buying a new boat - opinion poll

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
I have to admit, that I've been thinking about a newer/bigger boat. Not ready to do it, but at least thinking about it.

If you had available funding in the range of $28-35K, and wanted to buy a NEW boat, what would you be looking at, and for what particular reason. Recreational angler that also participates in club tourneys, and occasionally a bigger local tourney. Lakes are a mixture of medimum, to large with a few very large (Kerr, Santee, Murray), thrown in.

;)

Tex

Nitro 929 with a 225 hp, if you don't add to many options you should be able to keep it in that price range. A big boat for the money.

well if it were I, i would look hard at the Bass Cat. extreamly well built, family owned and some great looking hulls.

i would also consider a 901CDX. it will probably be my next boat (not for yrs to come) i feel nitro still makes a great product for the money. the 901 is a great design with plenty of space

for storage and fishability. it would take a good deal to pull me toward the bass cat.

but then again we are talking about spending your money not mine.

GregD

No question about it..... Nitro 898 with the uncarpeted deck and a "blue" 225 Merc!

the nitro 929 is the best value i ve had mine 4 years and love it I ve been all major brand boats and the only boat with abetter ride is a Charger JD

Look at a pro staff boat....lots of em out there and some really good deals. You could get more for your money!

Mini

Well you know I love the Tundra, but you had a Targa and its not your style of fishing boat. So i'd say Avalance DC with at 175 Opti!

Crestliner Fish Hawk 1850 dual console.

150 hp Honda

I never was a big fan of the "walleye" stlye boats,but after fishing out of them more and more,I am starting to convert.

Nice dry, smooth ride,warm during the cold runs,TONS of room to move,,and put in the number three and four seats and take the kids out for a day of fun.

after my last post I was thinking if you would be interested in a used boat I will sell mine and you would have a lot of change left and my boat looks and runs like new JD

You know what they say about opinions.

Ranger for ride comfort, but cost too much.

Triton for speed, but not the most stable fishing platform on the market.

Nitro for value and getting better all the time.

Skeeter for a stable fishing platform, but can get a little rough and wet

I'm a Skeeter fan because I spend more time fishing then running at full speed. But mostly because I think the are the best looking boat on the market.

Whatever you do, go large! I can count the times on one finger that someone said to me, I wish I had gone with a smaller boat with less horsepower. I've lost count of the times I heard the opposite.

GG

I think if I had that kind of money to spend on a boat I have to shop around for a used but like new Ranger or Champ or Bass Cat.

Harpo

Tex Get a Ranger ...You won't go wrong..I know this Is a Nitro site but the best Is the Best...Unless you can get a Storm.....Facts are facts...Best service best boats...JR

CARLOS Chime In from New:blink: Orleans......

Keep the Stratos, get a Jackplate and get a Booger prop, put the rest into retirement!!!

Well I would have to say if there was a dealer in my area and I had 35K to spend it would have to be a Basscat P4. No Basscat dealer in my area so I run a Triton TR186 Limited Edition with 150 OPTI. ( did not spend 35K either ) but its not as much boat as a P4, The P4 from what I have read and seen on the web is one sweet looking boat.

Texas Transplant,

I would take 32K and buy my fully equipped 2005 Nitro 929 w/ 250 Mercury Verado. The boat is absolutely loaded and retails at about 44k+ as equipped. I took it home yesterday and the verado is very impressive. Words really can't describe the experience. If you are worried about buying a "used" boat, I am a law student and fish very little these days. Consequently, the boat will be immaculate when it is sold. This is my third State Team Boat and my past buyers will attest that I have not put a single scratch on any of my boats. The motor probably won't have more than 40 hours on it when I sell it in September/October and will still be under warranty for 2 years. I can send you a pic if you would like to see the color scheme.

I know there are alot of opions on boats that is why there are so many to chose from but in my 35 years of fishing tourn. I have fished out of every bass boat there is from cheapest to most expensive and my 929cdx would hold its own to any of them JD

I'm with Mini. You can get a 1/2 year old rig from a sponsored pro with full warranties and still be considered the original owner which entitles you to not owner Ranger Cup but also Ranger Owner incentives.

For that money, I would definately get into a 520 DVX with a 225 Etec or 225 HO. I have been won over to the OMC side. Yamaha is the slowest of the big 3, but gets full service on the tour as does OMC. I would like to see the Verados after a few years. The big black motors will forever hold a sweet spot in my heart but it's just business! For anyone that did choose Merc, I have never had a problem with any of mine and I have run quite a few. I only wish there were sponsors of the FLW tour as well, then the choice would be all to easy for me.

But as for why a Ranger, well it's hard not to with the incentives, early entry, best customer service, top of the industry construction, best resale value.

Basscat or Ranger . Sorry guys as much as I hate to say it Nitro can't compare to either of these boats .

I looked for a while before i bought my nitro. For the the money its the best boat out there. Ranger may be the best, but the first 10k is for the name.

C'mon guys,...do your homework......price out a 520DVX Commanche (Where everything is standard) and compare it to a 929 with the same "options" so the boats are identical equipment wise,...........you will be SHOCKED at how close they are in price!! A fully rigged 929 is NOT cheap,..and the 520 Ranger will NOT be 10K more. More like $300-500,...and Nitro prices are NOT negotiable....Ranger prices are....if you were within $500 of the 929,...you can bet the Ranger dealer will match it!! (...and we ALL know about the CS issues)

Carry on...

Mac

I would say for the money, find you a 1 year old sponser 929 with a 225 opti. Got mine for less than 25 G. You can't beat a 929 for that money and it still had the new smell in the storage compartments.

I guess I'll be the first one to say that I'd stick with aluminum and go for an Xpress or the Avalanche.

I have a couple more years to think about a new boat, but I really don't need anything bigger than 18 - 19ft for the fishing I do around here. By that time the Verados should be out in the lower HP flavors as well :D

Bruce - You're SECOND!! LOL

re: Buying a new boat - opinion poll by TrepMan,4/28/2005 16:14 ET

Well you know I love the Tundra, but you had a Targa and its not your style of fishing boat. So i'd say Avalance DC with at 175 Opti!

Back