BUNK BOARDS

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Raso

Reaction score
HI,

I THOUGHT I ASK THEE QUESTION ABOUT WHAT TYPE OF WOOD I WOULD USE FOR THE BUNK BOARDS.I HAVE SEEN SEVERAL POST ,BUT THEY ARE FROM OUTTER STATES I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA.I HAVE A 1992 190DC W/150 EVINRUDE. I HAVE TALK TO A CARPENTER AT WORK AND HE STATED THAT REDWOOD IS TO SOFT AND MIGHT JUST BREAK WITH THE BOATS WEIGHT AND DF WILL DO JUST FINE THEN HE WENT TO DEEP FOR ME WITH OTHER WOODS CEDAR,PT&OTHERS

I HAVE (4) 8 1/2' BOARDS IN THE MIDDLE AND (1) 5' BOARDS AT THE EACH END.

WHAT TYPE OF WOOD,STAPLES,CARPET,BOLTS OR LAGS AND WITH OR WITHOUT GLUE??????????????

THANKS, JOE IN CALI.

Hey Joe, I'm from next door to LAX and spend my weekends at Casitas. I replaced the bunks on my old boat at the lake. Pick out some good knot free pine 2X4's. I pre-made and marked all the bunks at home for position and installed them while the boat was at the dock. Do all the measuring and assembly at home. Mark each one for front and location to speed up install. I used stainless carrige bolts and counter sunk them under the carpet. Use only stainless staples for the carpet and leave the underside of the bunks un-carpeted for drainage. You can use outdoor carpet glue if you want but not needed. I did this in 1990 and I gave the boat away in 04' to my brother and all bunks were still great.

I have one additional tip to add to the already excellent advice given by Byron. When you assemble the bunks, after predrilling the holes and before installing the carpert; place the carriage bolts into the holes half way in and then put some construction adhesive around the crown (head) of the bolts and pull them up snug with a nut over a spacer, as snug as when you finally mount them. This "pulls" the crown into the wood and the construction adhesive "locks them down" as if they are finally installed. Byron's advice to use carriage bolts is a much better method than lag bolts from below.

Good luck.

When i did mine on my 882 i used pressure treated 2x4's, they lasted the life of the boat. I pre built mine and installed them at a boat ramp. As far as the rest goes.

Glue= Yes

Staples= Monel coated

Lags or bolts= Stainless lags if you can get them otherwise galvy.

Go with Jim B.'s suggestion. I am a carpenter, use the pressure treated pine. Let the dry out after you bring the 2 X 4's home on a flat surface so they stay straight. I glued and stapled my carpet on and them just swapped them out at the ramp. Nitro uses the cheapest crap for bunk material with no care as to how long it will last. If you use your boat very much the few extra dollar for treated material is worth it.

Phil in Arkansas

You have no worries using new treated material with fiberglass hulls (as far as I know). But, do not under any circumstances use the new copper based pressure treated lumber for bunks for an aluminum hull. You will have holes in the hull in a very short times. The new copper based treatment is VERY corrosive to aluminum, VERY!

Latest posts

Back