Bunk board placement

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Hey all:

I have a question on a boat lift issue. I now have access to a boat lift on some nearby water but there were no bunk boards installed on the platform. The previous owner had a pontoon that he just parked on the running boards along each side of the lift. The lift comes equipped with vertical mounts to bolt on some bunk boards, which I've made up using two 2x6's bolted together (two sets of two boards each) and some marine carpet. Problem is that the vertical mounts are straight up and down. If I mount the bunk boards to the mounts, the surface of the boards where the boat would sit will be perfectly flat. However, as folks know, the PT175 is a mod-V design. What I want to know is whether I should figure a way to angle the bunk boards to match the angle at the bottom of the boat, or will I be okay just leaving the boards flat? If I go with just a straight mount, that will mean the boat is balanced on only the edges of the bunks and I'm concerned about putting undue stress on the boat's hull. On the other hand, measuring and precisely angling the boards to match the mod-V hull will be a pain to do. So can I get away with a straight mount? What do folks think?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Any chance you could use some sort of hinge or pivot point? You don't need as much support as with your trailer since it won't be bounceing up and down the road. If you could supply a pic I am sure one of us Redneck engineers could rig you something useing duct tape.....

BF

Jim, Check with westmarine.com for the brackets that bolt to the bottom of the bunk board with two bolts. On the down facing 90 degree angle, it has two bolt holes, one is the pivot bolt, the other is an half moon slot that allows the bracket/board to be angled. Leave both bolts slightly loose and bring the lift up to let the board contact the hull of the boat. It will set itself to the correct angle. Tighten the bolts and you're done. If it wasn't late I'd post the link for ya. If you can't find them, let me know tomorrow.

BruceM

Jim - When you put your boat in the water just measure the angle of the bunk boards on the trailer and then duplicate it on the lift. As mentioned by Bruce M you can get the brackets at West Marine or any good marine store (even BPS catalog). If you don't have a way to measure the angle let me know. I have any of the tools you may need so don't be a stranger neighbor. I would be more than happy to help.

Thanks guys!! Seems that the consensus is that I should go to the trouble of angling the bunk boards. I'll take a picture of the lift and post it after this weekend so folks can see my problem.

I did check the local West Marine for brackets as that would have been the easiest route to go. All they had was the complete brackets with the part BruceM describes, as well as a longer piece attached for bolting onto the lift frame. When I spoke with the guy there, they told me they didn't sell just the bracket part. Wish they did, then it would be a really easy job!

For now, I'm thinking of putting treated wood spacers between the frame of the lift and the bunk boards. If I cut the spacers at the right angle, it will fit nicely and the bunk boards will rest at the right angle so the downward weight of the boat will be against the frame of the lift and against the vertical brackets.

Bill - Thanks for the kind offer to help. I may have to take you up on your offer to assist on the angle and installation!

Jim - You can buy just the brackets at BPS or Cabela's. Let me know and I will stop by to help. Let me know Saturday.

Thanks Bill. Couldn't find the brackets at BPS online and didn't check with Cabela's. I did, however, find them at a trailer shop online. Here's what they look like:

Boatliftbracket.jpg

Got them on order and hopefully, that should make angling the bunk boards easy.

Jim C- Ditto what Bill said, I'd be glad to help if you need it !

Back