Brakes,prop, gauge

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Wilhelm

Reaction score
Hey folks, got several issues/questions. First, my current rig has surge brakes that need a little attention before working optimally. I am considering converting to electric brakes, and wanted some input on surge vs. electric.

Second, the Mercury 200 EFI has a 22 pitch Lazer II prop. Although performance is acceptable (and WOT RPM in spec), I would like to get a little better hole shot with a heavy load. I have heard many folks recommend Powertech props on the board, and was wondering if it was worth the money to change the prop. If so, what pitch should I use. The last issue concerns a question I posed before, but never really got a complete answer. I have and would like to install a water pressure gauge on the 200 EFI. I have the Mercury service manual, but it does not give clear instructions on how or where to connect the line (mentions a gray hose near front of engine that I can NOT find anywhere). Anyone here have experience with this? Or have a 1998 200 with a gauge installed?

Thanks in advance

PM, the boat is an Astro FS2000, 20' fish and ski. My WOT RPM is right at 5800 at 59 MPH on gps. I have not timed the hole shot, but estimate it to be around 8 seconds with a moderate load. This boat is new to me last season, and I expect I will experience heavier loads (topping of the 52 gallon tank, taking all of the kids out to tube, etc)this year. If I tee in to the pee line, will I get accurate readings on a gauge? Is there any specific section of the hose (i.e. farthest from the discharge), that I need to consider?

Thanks,

Don

Do they even offer electric brakes for boat trailers? I have electric brakes on my car trailer and love them, but would never think of putting them in water time after time again? Just asking thats all. Surge brakes take some getting used to, but they work great also.

BF

PM, thanks for the input. I'm gonna start pricing props soon. Bruce, they do offer electric brakes for boat trailers. A good friend of mine has them on his pontoon trailer, and really likes them. Its actually a source of debate between us because I prefer the surge brakes, and he prefers electric. We argue the pros and cons of both pretty often.

Back