Brake adjustments

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Bennett

Reaction score
I have an 97 trailer with my 97 Nitro Savage was wondering if anyone knew how to adjust these brakes or check them, I can back up uphill with the plug undone so I know they are not working properly. Any Help would be great advice. The adjusters in the back are real hard to get to do to the frame work on the trailer.

Are they hydraulic or electric? If the are surge type (Hydraulic) they may not be working at all, you will have to pull the wheel and the drum to check them, to adjust there should be a knock out in either the drum or the backing plate to adjust. Also the saftey arm could be down if so equipted stopping the brakes from working or it may be out of brake fluid, the list goes on and on I am afraid.

does you trailer have a 4 or 5 wire plug? Need more info please.

BF

If the brakes will grab at all, then they should "self-adjust" if you apply repeatedly them while backing up.

If they don't grab at all..... And you can't get to the adjuster with the tool..... You may be able to get them close by removing the wheel and drum then adjusting them out as far as you can and still be able to slip the drum back over.

Other than that, if you can't reach the adjuster with the tool, you may have to lower the axle.....

Are you sure you're using the adjusting tool properly?

I can't imagine that the trailer manufacturer would have installed them so that you couldn't get to the adjustment slot..... H-m-m-m... The slot should be on the bottom... If the frame is in the way... Is the slot on the top? Could the brake plate have been installed upside-down?

me!

Back