Brackish water w/PT175

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking about fishing Chickahominy river/lake in VA and was wondering if I would see ant ill effects from putting the boat and trailer into brackish water? Thanks for any help.

Todd

If it is a galvanized trailer and I really wanted to do this I'd go for it. If you do not have a galvanized trailer there is no way I would do it. If it is galvanized, you absolutely must clean everything in this boat after each brackish use- better than you have ever done before. What you have is really not designed for salt water use, and there also are others that will tell you not to even think about it. Bottom line is it is your boat and your choice.

Berry - The Chick ain't salt. It's brackish. Not even a high brackish rating by many standards. I've put boats in a lot worse than Chick. Areas of the Albamarle Sound are much worse than the Chick. I am a firm believer in not running any boat that wasn't designed for saltwater in it if at all possible, but this isn't that case.

Todd - You're absolutely good to go on Chick. Just wash down the boat and trailer afterwards. Galvanized is better in any situation, but I had a painted trailer that I used on the Chick / James for 11 years. Just wash it.

All the best,

Glenn

Agree with Glem.

I fished the North Landing and the Northwest river many a day, just wash and flush.

cq

Almost every river I can think of on the east coast of VA is brackish water - and we run in them all the time. Granted, the best way to go (in my opinion), no matter where you fish, brackish or not, is a galvanized trailer. But a painted trailer, if washed and rinsed after every trip, will be just fine. Just don't make a habit of going out, coming home, and just parking the boat. Give it a good rinse and it will last you for many, many years. Some trailers are better than others... galvanized is awesome. I won't own another boat without one. My first 4 boats had painted trailers. Boat number 4's trailer started to rust after several years, even with rinsing. I had it bead blasted, stripped completely of all wiring, etc... , replaced the cancer-eaten parts, then had it hot-dip galvanized, rewired, and put back into service. When I sold it, it still looked brand new. When I bought boat number 5.... it had a galvanized trailer under it from day 1. I wouldn't have it any other way for all future purchases.

So... go dunk it in. And if you aren't comfortable doing it, give me a shout here. I'll take you out in my boat on the Chick. :D

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks guys. I heard there was an issue with the dam and they have the gates open which turned the lake back into the river. Is there are problem getting around with an outboard? Are there any contour maps out there? Thanks again for the helpful info.

Todd

Here we go again:huh: GO FISHING!!! And when you get home wash everything down real well with fresh water and run fresh water through the motor and you'll have no problems. Don't forget the trailer.

Uncle Billy

I've never been in Chick Lake.... but spent tons of time on the river. Always wanted to... never got around to it. I hear it's really stumpy. I don't know of any contour maps for it. I wouldn't consider it deep enough to require one.... and even if they did exist, with all the silt, it probably changes daily. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

The lake is tidal now, so some spots can be pretty shallow depending on the time of day. You can run around most of the lake with your outboard, just keep a close eye on that depthfinder. By the way, if you are looking for a good place to put in I reccomend Ed Allens. $5 ramp fee and friendly people.

Jerry

Todd,

I live in the area as well. I have heard some reports about Chick lake that lead me to not put my boat in there right now. I fished it alot when the DAM DAM was in good shape and never had an issue. Some folks are saying that due to it being low the grass and other debris have been getting in their motors cooling system. To me its not woth it when you can put in at Rockahock 1/4 mile away in the river and have some great fishing. I previously owned a Nitro NX750 and a PT 175, fished the Chick river in both and never had trouble with trailer rust. Just rins and repeat afew times when the boat comes out. Granted the trailers were galvanized. I dont think you will have a problem.

If you want more info email me and Ill give you me cell phone.

Mark

Guys, I live on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi and fish in heavy brackish water and sometimes the Gulf itself with my Tracker PT175. I have a gal. trailer but after 2 years of fishing ( 8 times a month), my rig shows no signs of salt water problem. When I use my live well, when I get back I pump fresh water through the system both areator and recirculator along with pump out and of course soap and water on the hull, troll motor and rinse the trailer and wheels down good. I see Trackers out there all the time so it's a popular boat down here also. Most fishermen use open, uncarpeted flat boats like G3 or alumacraft since many crab also (real messy) and duck hunt from their boats. I love my 175 and get compliments all the time about how nice looking it is (red model)but mostly because it is so comfortable and fishable. kenny

Latest posts

Back